Sofia Gerace

Planning a Weekend in Edinburgh

Sofia Gerace

Planning a Weekend in Edinburgh

If you are wanting to spend a weekend out of London and you’re wondering which destination might be better, this blog post is for you! While there are many different places to visit in the UK, in this article I am going to talk about organising a trip to Edinburgh and the best activities to do in the Scottish city!

The Journey to Edinburgh

Edinburgh is located in Scotland and there are many different train companies which travel from London to Edinburgh every day. If you have a railcard (£30 per year for students), you have a 1/3 discount on trains throughout Great Britain for one year. With the train company ‘Lumo’, customers with a railcard can find train from London to Edinburgh for only 15£. Other companies might have other discounts, but I suggest planning in advance to make sure to find the best tickets. The train journey usually last between four and five hours. This is why I think it is best to spend at least two days in Edinburgh.

What to do in Edinburgh

I think that Edinburgh is the perfect city to visit because it is not particularly big, and it is easy just to wander around. The first thing I visited when I went there was the Royal Mile. It is the main road of Edinburgh’s Old Town and goes from the Castle of Edinburgh to the Palace of Holyrood. After that, it is worth to climb “Arthur’s Seat”, from which you will have a beautiful view on the whole city. Apparently, the sunrise and the sunset look particularly beautiful from there! Also, if you feel like visiting museums, the Scottish National Gallery is located in the very centre of Edinburgh, and it does not take long to be visited. There are different activities for each kind of person. If you’re a fan of Harry Potter you could go looking for the place that inspired the books. If you would rather engage in cultural activities, you could visit the Castle or the Writers’ Museum. If you prefer to walk around the city there are many beautiful streets as well as lovely parks where to spend some time!

Best Time to visit Edinburgh

Reading week will be in February at LSE and this might be a good time for students to take some time off. I think that Edinburgh is really beautiful, and you will appreciate it during any time of the year. However, I also believe that spring is a better time because it is more likely that the weather will be warmer. If you are visiting during the winter, make sure you take warm clothes and an umbrella!

Sofia Gerace

I'm Sofia, an italian student at the LSE. Apart from being passionate about my MSc in Political Economy of Europe, I enjoy learning foreign languages, visiting new countries, and writing stories about my life as international student.

Posted In: Student life | Travel