Li Xuan

March 10th, 2022

Calling all Writeaholics! Opportunities While at LSE

Li Xuan

March 10th, 2022

If you’re like me and you just have to express your thoughts through writing then we’ll probably get along very well! Or if you’re looking for a break from academia related work and want to develop your other passions or soft skills and are considering joining the writing scene then you’re in the right place.

Still not convinced? In this blog, I will list some of the reasons why you should (and hopefully will) take advantage of the numerous writing opportunities at LSE.

A great space to meet new people with similar interests

Whether you’re into politics, culture, technology or entrepreneurial issues, you’re sure to find a blog or people of the same crowd who will be willing to set up a new WordPress with you given LSE’s diversity. These relationships may even last until later in your life and may even open up new doors for you in the future. Another great perk that it brings is a name in the media world that could make access to public figures or renowned academics in their field to respond to your interview invite.

There are so many transferable skills you can demonstrate in your CV

You might think that these types of activities are only useful for those who want to pursue public relations or multimedia careers. However, with time management, editing and collaboration skills to develop which sound all too familiar not just in publishing but any industry nowadays to be honest. Moreover, if you’re constantly writing about current affairs you can always keep yourself up to date which may prove useful come job interview season or in any social science job setting where you are always writing policy briefs or presentations. What’s more, you don’t even have to restrict yourself to writing as there is ample opportunity for photographers, artists and poets alike to showcase their work through blogs. 

It’s such a good opportunity to improve your writing

Opinionated, critical thinking, perfect grammar, straight to the point are all superstar aspects when writing which can only be achieved with thorough practice. Hence, you will find yourself in a much stronger position the more opportunities you find yourself for writing. 

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the differences with academic-style writing in the sense that blogs require you to increase the accessibility of your work as you’re writing for the general public. You must also ensure that you’re concise and punchy as the last thing you want to do is make your reader fall asleep. As universities adapt their courses to become more practical based, there is no room to neglect these types of tasks anymore if you’re not a big fan of creative writing since academic blogging is now even becoming more of a big thing. I’m being absolutely serious and a 100% speaking from my own lived experience when I say that my overall writing skills have improved drastically.

Currently for my master’s, I’m taking a module in the International Development department, DV455: Advocacy, Campaigning and Grassroots Activism which has a blogging component for my summative so you really never know if these skills will come in handy! My existing blogging experience and familiarity with the style of writing made the assignment so much more enjoyable and easier instead of seeing it as another one that I just have to tick the box off my to-do list. Not to mention, if you hate referencing (it’s such a pain…) then you’ll absolutely love that you can simply just hyperlink every fact or quotation.

Lastly, be sure to check out the full list of LSE blogs here. Other student-led opportunities include: The Beaver for current affairs enthusiasts, Clare Market Review for creative minds, Earthrise Journal for those passionate about environmental issues. And obviously, the Students@LSE blog is another fantastic opportunity!

Li Xuan

A Malaysian Borneo native studying MSc Environment and Development. Given my multicultural upbringing, I speak 6 languages which is partly why I chose the LSE and its very international student body! I'm also a R'n'B/soul/jazz fanatic.

Posted In: Careers | Student life | Study: Masters | Study: PhD | Study: Undergraduate