Sofia Gerace

April 16th, 2022

You received an offer from LSE, now what?

Sofia Gerace

April 16th, 2022

If you are a future master’s student who has just received an offer from LSE, this blog post is for you! Here is some advice from me, a current master’s student!

After receiving an offer, the most important steps are:

• making a decision about your offer
  • looking for accommodation
  • attending offer holders’ events

Accepting your offer

The first thing to do is to accept your offer from LSE. It’s an important decision to make. When I received my offer one year ago, I remember wondering whether I would have enjoyed studying in such a big city like London and if it would have been worth it spending another year in academia. Now, at the end of my master’s, I can reassure you that LSE is an amazing place to study. During my master’s degree at the European Institute, I have had one of the best experiences of my life. The academics are all experts in their fields and in one year you are going to learn more than you can imagine! The staff is really kind and always available to support you in any way you need. In addition, being surrounded by people with the same interests who come from very different countries is the most enriching experience! If you have any specific questions that could help you make a decision, do not hesitate to email your department and to reach out to the student ambassadors of your course!

Looking for accommodation

After accepting your offer, I would suggest thinking about accommodation. You can choose whether you would rather live in a hall of residence or in a flat. If you prefer living in a hall, you should look at the LSE accommodation website which explains the options you have and the rooms available. Many master’s students opt for living in halls and places get filled really quickly! So you should start having a look as soon as possible! If you are thinking of living in a flat, you have some more time to choose. All the students I have met so far have had a great experience during their studies regardless of the place they were living in! You should make your decision depending on what kind of environment would allow you to make the most of your degree. Living in halls means being able to meet many different people, not having to worry about paying utilities every month and avoiding paperwork. But it is also about sharing common spaces, such as kitchen and leisure rooms! On the other hand, living in a flat allows you to choose the London area you prefer and to live with people you already know. However, it is also about getting along with your flatmates for one year, cleaning common spaces, paying utilities and going through paperwork. There are pros and cons on both sides and the decision is really up to you and the lifestyle you prefer.

Attend offer holders’ events

From April to July, LSE and its departments organise offer holders’ events. Usually, during these events, you will be able to ask questions to departmental staff or current students. You can ask any kind of question and they will be happy to help you. In my experience, it was really useful! I remember asking current students how their experience was, what advice they had to make the most of the master’s experience, and what jobs they were applying for. These events can really help you to start your master’s degree in London without being completely lost during the first weeks.

Sofia Gerace

I'm Sofia, an italian student at the LSE. Apart from being passionate about my MSc in Political Economy of Europe, I enjoy learning foreign languages, visiting new countries, and writing stories about my life as international student.

Posted In: Applying: Masters