Sarah Schaible

July 15th, 2022

Destination LSE: My experience and advice

Sarah Schaible

July 15th, 2022

If you have received an offer to study at LSE this year, Destination LSE pre-departure events are a great way to prepare for your arrival. In 2019, I attended one of these events as a current student and a representative of the LSE German Society. Here, I share my experience of what I would have done if I attended as a prospective student. You can find out more about Destination LSE, as well as where and when they take place on the LSE website.

What to expect

The events will vary in size, but you can expect at least a few other offer holders to be there, as well as representatives from the school, usually the organisers of the event. This gives you a great opportunity to connect with fellow students of your cohort and allows you to make first contacts, which can be helpful when you first arrive in London.

The event I went to took place in-person in a nice restaurant in Stuttgart where we just got food and drinks together and shared some tips and experiences with the students to answer any questions they had about starting at LSE. Eventually, it just turned into a friendly chat in a relaxed atmosphere. Since 202o, these events have moved online and the next sessions are due to take place on Zoom.

How to make the most of it

Obviously, this is your opportunity to get answers to any questions you may have about life as an LSE student or life in London more generally. If you are coming from abroad, moving to London will probably be a big step, so it is good to get as much information as possible, especially from any alumni or current students attending the events.

Thinking back about when I was an offer holder, I was most curious about what daily life as an LSE student would be like. This is why I would recommend just asking about anything, from where to do your food shop, which gyms to sign up for or how to get around in London – no question is too basic. It might also be interesting to find out more about how other applicants are navigating the process of moving to London and starting at LSE; this will make you realise that you are all in the same boat if you are feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Lastly, I would recommend staying in contact with the people you meet at the Destination LSE event. Having met peers who will start at LSE at the same time as you can be great in the first few days in London, where it is easy to feel lonely. And connecting with alumni or current students will allow you to ask questions further down the line, which I am sure they will be more than happy to help with.

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.

Posted In: Applying: Undergraduate