Aishwarya

Why should you pursue a PhD at LSE?

Aishwarya

Why should you pursue a PhD at LSE?

If you have a passion for research, find yourself looking for projects that are heavily research-based, and intend to pursue a career in research, then doing a PhD may be something to think about. People choose to pursue a PhD for several reasons. They’re enthusiastic about their subject, they want to pivot their career in a new direction, they want to use the PhD training to pursue a career in the industry or they would like to progress into an academic career. Whatever your reason may be, LSE has tons of options that could be suitable for your PhD career.

The PhD programmes at LSE are highly distinguished and esteemed because the scholar community lies at the heart of the university’s research culture. Pursuing a PhD here is a world-class luxury educational experience where you have the opportunity to work at the highest academic level. This allows access to world renowned platforms to collaborate with leading researchers and academicians and forge impactful research partnerships.

At the Department of Psychological and Behavioural Science, the MPhil/PhD students have access to unique opportunities where their research work offers a fantastic balance between delving into theoretical perspectives as well as applying their findings in real-world practical contexts. The professors in the department are leading experts in their fields and working with them presents me with a challenging and yet rewarding experience where I’m sharpening my analytical and creative skills on a daily basis. This is nothing short of a privilege in my opinion.

The diversity of the PhD experience is also something that the department can take pride in. The range of topics being studied and issues being addressed is vast covering climate change and sustainable food consumption to risktaking behaviours and the future of work. In my experience thus far, I have noticed that working alongside some of the brilliant minds in academia has challenged my beliefs and has altered the way I think about the critical concerns in my field and, sometimes, even beyond. The experience has been every bit pleasant and enjoyable.

The privilege of being a PhD student affords you the freedom to work independently, set work directions for yourself, and own your work in every sense. While that may seem intimidating at the beginning, it quickly transforms into an empowering experience. And especially so, when the department is supportive and encouraging right from the application stage up until you graduate and beyond.

My hope is that my PhD experience at LSE helps me become an independent critical thinker with the ability to ask novel and interesting research questions. As I navigate my PhD journey, I hope to develop the ability to solve complex real-world problems with simple, reliable and elegant solutions. I am thrilled about how the LSE ecosystem enhances my curiosity and interest in psychological science and inspires me to take the knowledge I build and create here to wherever life takes me after my PhD. I’m sure that this PhD experience will truly be a life-transforming one.

So if you’re still reading this and wondering about pursuing a PhD at LSE, my answer to that is a resounding yes. I would 100% recommend it!

Aishwarya

I’m Aish, an MPhil/PhD student at the Department of Psychological and Behavioural Science. I study the impact that personality characteristics can have on performance at the workplace. When I’m not actively PhD-ing, I spend my time cooking, writing, and hula-hooping.

Posted In: Applying: PhD