Sakina

December 19th, 2022

Studying BSc Sociology at LSE

Sakina

December 19th, 2022

Studying BSc Sociology at LSE

Sociology as a degree

The discipline of sociology covers the study of social life and human behaviour. There are of course different subsections within the discipline but let me get into why you should choose the programme and why I think it is a great choice overall.

The degree allows you to immerse yourself in the world, whether that be historically or within a contemporary context. As a degree, sociology allows one to learn about theoretical matters whilst helping one develop key research skills.

Sociology helps us gain a better understanding of the world because it provides us with the perceptive skills to look into the complex nature of humans and their societies. It is a very rewarding degree, if I do not say myself, it is quite intellectually stimulating and challenges you in an enriching manner. Our societies are constantly in flux, which means that they are constantly changing which is why it is important to study a degree that helps you adapt and cope with societal change.

Why LSE is perfect for studying Sociology

The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is ranked quite highly in the world for the study of the social sciences. The Department of Sociology is recognised for its research-led teaching. The BSc in Sociology studies real-world social and ethical issues faced in our current world.

LSE welcomes students to debate and evaluate many of these key issues whilst providing their own stances. LSE prides itself on the transferable skills that this course will provide you if you go forth with picking it for undergraduate study. It is a three-year programme which looks for applicants with potential, passion, motivation and academic merit.

If you have never really been introduced to this course then LSE is perfect because the first year evidently exists as a foundational year that introduces key concepts, theories and methods. Even though I was very aware of the discipline before I applied, the first year that I studied this course was really informative in introducing the topics at a university level. Structurally, you also have the ability to pick outside options from other departments which give you a chance to study different specialisations. I chose modules within anthropology and social policy which were really thought-provoking and coincided with sociology and taught me more about my main discipline.

All the teaching staff within the Department of Sociology are really knowledgeable and welcoming. The teachers that I had, whether conducting lectures or seminars, were all very positive which freed a lot of my initial anxiety. Discussion and participation are encouraged which may push you out of your comfort zone but helps you really engage with the course and topics involved.

My experience

When initially choosing a course for university and undergraduate study, I was very misinformed but chose something I thoroughly enjoyed. Sociology is an enjoyable degree for students with critical thinking and observational skills. I was always keen on learning about society and LSE provided me with the tools to do that alongside other inquisitive and intelligent students and staff members.

I have managed to develop my verbal and written communication skills whilst building a strong work ethic. This work ethic is attributed to the formative work assignments that prepare you for your final assessments. Being in the company of other students has helped with my interpersonal skills and helped build my confidence. The topics I have really enjoyed include discussions surrounding race, empire and inequality in all its facets. LSE also has a wide reading list which challenges the reader and teaches you more about topics you may not have come across.

Future benefits

If this has not encouraged you to at least consider studying sociology, then let us go into the overall benefits of the degree. What you learn from a sociology degree encompasses skills that apply to many different areas of work and career paths. You gain skills in critical thinking, rationality, fairness and the ability to work both independently and in a group. Independence aligns with autonomy and self-reliance, whilst group work helps with teamwork and working with like-minded students in an all-inclusive field.

Sakina

I’m Sakina and I’m a third year Sociology student at LSE. I’m quite interested in the interconnections between empire, nationality and race in the UK. I also have an interest in educational inequality and attainment. I’ve lived in London my whole life and love writing. Feel free to interact with my posts and I hope you enjoy them.

Posted In: Applying: Undergraduate