Samuel Predeth

April 2nd, 2023

Is LSE really sociable?

Samuel Predeth

April 2nd, 2023

Is LSE really sociable?

LSE is often regarded as being unsociable and even “boring”. From my experience, it has been quite the opposite. I will be discussing all things social life and how I’ve made friendships in such a rigorous, academic environment.

The easiest way to meet people and make friends is through living in student halls, which many first-year students tend to do. LSE halls tend to hold lots of social events for all residents and, if you are in catered accommodation, you will be eating with people every day, which can be a great place to spark a conversation and meet new people. In the first year, everyone is nervous and wants to make friends, so just start a conversation and you never know where it could lead you. I met some of my best friends from my flat in the first year, but it wasn’t the only way.

The next best thing for socialising is sports and societies. There are hundreds of societies to join at LSE, so there is something for everyone. These are the best places to boost your social life, so get involved and try something new. For myself, Geography and Environment, Pulse and Lacrosse were my go-to societies for meeting new people and having great social events. I really enjoy nights out and partying, which is accommodated by these societies, but if that’s not your thing, there are plenty of other groups who don’t go out and tend to have smaller and quieter events.

Getting involved in your department’s events is also a great way to experience some bigger events. For the Department of Geography and Environment, we have an annual winter ball where we all get dressed up for a three-course dinner and drinks. It’s always the highlight of the year and for this year, as Vice-President of the G&E society, I was involved in its planning and organisation. This was a really rewarding experience and meant I got to meet so many more people in my department and across other societies as I facilitated the LSESU Music Society playing during the event. Many departments across LSE will have similar events, so make sure you get involved if you can!

Aside from designated social events, you would expect everyone to be constantly in the library, reading, writing essays, and studying. I’ve found it to be otherwise. Classes and lectures are great times to have quick chats with people you haven’t seen in a while or to catch up, and everyone’s always willing to take their minds off studying! Even studying can be a social experience. I like to go to the 1st floor of the LSE library where I will often sit and study with some of my friends or go chat to them while I need a break. This can sometimes be counter-productive but it’s much more fun than sitting in a room on your own scrambling to get work done.

The social life at LSE really is what you make of it, as cliché as it. Ask someone to go for coffee, strike up that conversation in class, or join a new society, you never know where it could end up. First year was definitely difficult for me to make friends as you are trying to juggle so many things at once, so don’t worry if you haven’t got it all figured out. Just take it step by step, put yourself out there and you will meet some amazing people, trust me!

Samuel Predeth

Hi! I'm Sam. I'm currently a second year BA Geography student at LSE and I am originally from Portsmouth, UK.

Posted In: Student life