Adriana

May 8th, 2023

Incredible student deals: the Student Art Pass and the Young Barbican

Adriana

May 8th, 2023

The Student Art Pass

As a lover of art, especially weird, contemporary, and political art, I’ve been dedicating afternoons to exploring the London art scene since moving here in September. However, being a graduate student and originally from New York, I’ve typically stuck to the cheap stuff: art pop-ups, local galleries, and museums with large free collections. Most often, I’ve found myself catching a rare mental break from studying statistics in Tate Modern’s free section. Nevertheless, when I saw Cézanne’s fruit baskets coming along to the Tate Modern, I knew it was time to shell out for a paid exhibition.
LSE, students, arts, budget, discounts, london
Despite my usual hesitation with 19th-century art, I was intrigued by Cézanne’s post-Impressionist push into 20th-century Cubism, and his famous words, “I will astonish Paris with an apple,” were calling to me. However, seeing the £20 entry fee, I almost decided not to go. As much as I wanted to spend quality time meandering among Cézanne’s abstractions, I’d flown round trip on Ryanair for less. There was no way I was going to spend £20. Luckily, the Student Art Pass saved me!

For just £5, the Student Art Pass gives you a 50% discount on all Tate Modern exhibitions, along with free and heavily discounted entry to art exhibits and museums all throughout the United Kingdom. Already, the Student Art Pass would give me access to Cézanne for just £10, which—even including the cost of the pass itself—was still a good deal. Without a doubt, the art pass was worth buying just for the day of, but since then I’ve used it on a number of occasions to get either free or 50% off entry to museums throughout England, and I can’t wait to use it when I visit Wales and Scotland!

The Barbican

Have you ever wanted to see a world-famous documentary, artistic production, independent film, or Blockbuster, for just £5? Coming from New York, where movie ticket prices start at $12 regardless of whatever student discount you have, and smaller independent cinemas will easily charge $18 and still pass around a bucket for donations at the end of the night, I was shocked to hear about the Young Barbican program. The Young Barbican program for those aged between 14-25 years old gives exclusive access to arts, entertainment, and other creative programs: most notably, the £5 ticket scheme to almost any film showing at the Barbican Center! Even those who don’t fall into the age range might enjoy the opportunity to visit the Barbican Center’s beautiful venue and explore some of its cinematic showings and art exhibits.

Adriana

Hi, I’m Adriana! Originally from NY, I’m having a blast pursuing an MSc in Social Statistics (Research) at LSE while cycling around London and dancing salsa in the streets! My interests lie at the intersection of family planning and education, and I’m passionate about conducting social science research through a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods.

Posted In: London life