Lola

May 27th, 2023

Things to do in the best London neighbourhoods

Lola

May 27th, 2023

It’s hard to choose just one favourite neighbourhood in London. The entire city has so much to offer, and each neighbourhood offers something unique.

This is why I’ll have to pick two of my favourite neighbourhoods, one in West London and the other in East London.

On the west side, my choice for the best neighbourhood goes to Kensington. This choice may not be a shock since Kensington is one of London’s most visited and most expensive places. So I’m just confirming that Kensington is indeed worth the hype. Here’s why:

Activities and sites

I’ll start with my top reason for picking Kensington. You’ll always have things to see and do! The area has a wide range of museums, so you’ll surely find one you like. Check out the Natural History Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Science Museum, or the Design Museum, depending on your mood. On top of checking out the museums, take in the other sites and monuments in the area. These sites include Kensington gardens and palace, my favourite spot in London connected to the royal family. You’ll also want to check out the Royal Albert Hall across from Kensington gardens and stroll around the neighbourhood to peep at the lux homes and apartment buildings within the area.

Shopping

Shopping in Kensington is another excellent activity that will not disappoint. Kensington is perfect for window shopping at luxury department stores like Harrods or boutique shopping at Sloane street if you have extra cash. Kensington High Street is another incredible place to either window shop or spend some money, depending on the day.

Food

Lastly, no good neighbourhood is complete without great food and restaurants to complement the range of activities. Kensington offers a variety of cuisines, from traditional British to more modern European to global foods like Chinese and Mediterranean restaurants. I’d recommend Ceru South Kensington for some incredible Mediterranean bites or The Builders Arms to enjoy one of the best traditional pubs in London.

In East London, my favourite neighbourhood that I’ve had the chance to explore is Shoreditch. Shoreditch is another popular choice, especially for the younger crowd, due to its lively scene. Fortunately, Shoreditch has incredible offerings for people of all ages and backgrounds. Here are some of the best things about Shoreditch.

The Artistic scene

Shoreditch is known for its art, particularly galleries, exhibits, and street art. Starting with one of the notable aspects of Shoreditch, the street art that adorns the area. You can’t walk around shoreditch without noticing the murals that line the walls of many buildings. I’d recommend starting out at Brick Lane, the street most famous for its street art, boutiques, and vintage shops. From there, venture to some side streets to find hidden gems throughout the neighbourhood.

Nightlife

Another prominent feature of Shoreditch is the bustling and energetic nightlife synonymous with the area. From more traditional pubs to dancing clubs, to live music venues, to activity-based bars, Shoreditch nightlife truly offers something for everyone. Don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone and head to a salsa bar or jazz venue. The atmosphere is sure to be vibrant and exciting. Best of all, if you end up not having fun – the next option for a fun night out will be right around the corner!

Food

As I said, no good neighbourhood is complete without great food to complement its other offerings. Shoreditch is not exempt from this rule. I love the food options available in Shoreditch. While Brick Lane in Shoreditch is well known for its excellent South Asian culinary options, I’ve found that Shoreditch has impressive options for Peruvian, Caribbean, and East Asian food as well. Ever find yourself wanting to sample food from a wide array of cultures? Well, you’re in luck because Spitalfield Market in Shoreditch has countless stands offering bites from all around the world. This is one of the first markets I visited in London, and the food did not disappoint.

Now you know why I think Kensington and Shoreditch are the best neighbourhoods in London. I’d love for you to prove me wrong! Which neighbourhoods are your favourites, and why?

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: London life