Lola

June 14th, 2023

Why LSE LIFE? Take advantage of resources available

Lola

June 14th, 2023

One of the best parts about obtaining a postgraduate degree at LSE is the resources explicitly geared towards postgrad students. One such resource is LSE LIFE, a combination of events, workshops, and an actual physical location designed to help students get the most out of their educational experience.

Transitioning to life as a postgraduate student comes with its challenges. However, LSE LIFE is incredible because it foresees some potential academic challenges and builds opportunities for students to learn and develop practical skills they won’t gain in their daily classes.

For example, as someone who didn’t have much experience writing research papers during undergrad, the LSE LIFE workshops focused on writing essays, conducting research on Google, and specific software or guidance for appropriate references have been incredibly useful. And while I haven’t gotten there yet, I’m looking forward to the workshops focused on dissertation writing and topics, as writing a dissertation is a brand-new challenge for me.

For others, LSE LIFE has been helpful in the transition towards writing in English for non-native English speakers and has been an integral part of many individuals’ exam preparation process. What’s incredible is that LSE LIFE doesn’t only focus on the practical skills you’ll need to achieve academic success. They also have workshops focused on mindfulness to help with stress relief and offer one-on-one advising sessions for students who need help with specific practical or non-practical skills.

All-in-all, I’m incredibly grateful that LSE LIFE exists and know that it has made my academic transition so much smoother.

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.