Lola

July 12th, 2023

How to get the dissertation support you need

Lola

July 12th, 2023

It feels as though I’ve written more words in the past year than I did in the last four years of my academic career combined. Despite this recent practice, the idea of a 10,000-word dissertation still feels incredibly daunting. I knew that I would need help along the way, and am so glad that I have been to receive the necessary support.

At LSE, there are so many resources ranging from knowledgeable individuals to informative workshops, books, lectures, and much more. Here are a few ways that I got support during my dissertation process: 

Personal academic supervisor

While some individuals enter master’s programs with a clear vision of their end-of-year research, I wasn’t so fortunate.  At the beginning of the year, my academic advisors and professors assured me that there would be ample time to develop dissertation ideas. However, when the moment arrived to select a topic, I found myself overwhelmed and uncertain. Fortunately, at LSE, my department, Psychological and Behavioural Science, along with many others, assign each student an academic supervisor specifically for the dissertation process. In addition to our general academic advisor, this dedicated supervisor is available to assist us with all aspects of our dissertation. Halfway through the year, I was introduced to my dissertation supervisor, and I had the opportunity to meet with them to discuss initial ideas, thoughts, and engage in productive brainstorming sessions regarding my topic. Over the following months, their guidance and insights proved invaluable. With their assistance, I was able to successfully narrow down my topic, formulate a research question, and embark on the next steps of the dissertation journey. 

Workshops and guides through LSE LIFE

After finalising my topic and research question, there was still a ton left to figure out for my dissertation. Being someone without prior experience in conducting experiments or writing extensive papers, I knew I would need support. Fortunately, LSE LIFE, a resource center providing guidance and assistance to students at LSE, offers a plethora of dedicated resources tailored specifically to dissertation requirements. They offer a range of invaluable tools through informative materials and interactive workshops. From my own experience, I found the workshops particularly advantageous. I enrolled in courses related to deciding on a research question which enabled me to  transition from my creative brainstorm of ideas to a more defined and focused choice.  Additionally, I attended workshops focused on acquiring essential skills for various stages of the research process, including designing surveys and visualising data. These workshops have played a crucial role in my journey thus far and will continue to be an invaluable resource as I tackle the writing and formatting aspects of my dissertation. LSE LIFE is a one-stop-shop for valuable tips and tricks in this process. 

One-on-ones with quantitative advisors

The scariest part of the dissertation process for me is definitely the quantitative analysis. I understand how crucial it is for academic research, but that doesn’t stop it from feeling overwhelming. Thankfully, there are several ways to get help with this aspect of the dissertation. As I mentioned earlier, LSE LIFE offers workshops that cover quantitative sessions, and they even have drop-in sessions for more personal questions. On top of that, you can book one-on-one sessions with quantitative advisors, which have been an absolute lifesaver for me. It’s been fantastic to brush up on my quantitative skills and get confirmation that I’m on the right track with my analysis. While you can find a lot of information online these days, nothing beats sitting down with someone who can take a close look at your work and give you personalised suggestions and support.

The support I’ve received during my dissertation process at LSE  has been invaluable. I’ve still got time left on this dissertation journey but the resources and guidance thus far has made me confident that I’ll successfully reach the finish line.

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: Student life