Ananya

July 31st, 2023

Some life skills I have developed as a student at LSE

Ananya

July 31st, 2023

University is a period of personal development for everyone. And as a master’s student at a big city-based university such as LSE, there are some very important life skills that one gains during their time here. Here are a few key skills that I have learnt as a student at LSE which will undeniably transfer into other parts of my life and contribute to my growth as a person.

1. Budgeting – One of the most essential parts of surviving in an expensive city such as London is managing your finances. In my first few months, I found myself splurging on too many nights out and take-out dinners, which is an easy trap to fall into when you move into such a glamorous city, with things to enjoy (and pay for) at every corner. However, this was a lesson that came with experience. I quickly realised that cutting costs was a crucial step in ensuring I was not surviving on single digits in my bank account at the end of each month. I learnt to cook cheap meals at home, make the best out of student discounts, and ultimately, spend money more wisely.
  2. Time management – In my first few weeks at LSE, there were so many Students Union’s clubs and societies I wanted to join, and at the same time make use of all the study support provided by LSE. I found myself struggling to manage so many things at once and eventually learnt to schedule my time better. I learnt to put down events and commitments into my calendar and this has helped me keep sight of the various activities I want to do, and also judge how much time I can realistically devote to different things. Doing this has helped maintain a study-life balance, which I think is essential for every student for their physical and mental well-being.
  3. Travelling – Having done my undergraduate studies in the much smaller city of Bath, I was used to short bus queues, single-route journeys, and just quieter travel in general. But this is the beauty of living in a busy city – you quickly learn from experience. I made the rookie mistake of travelling during the time of tube strikes, without any knowledge of alternative travel options. Standing in bus queues spanning a few blocks was enough to make me more aware of the pitfalls of relying on just one mode of travel. Since then, I am always mentally prepared with backup routes to any destination, and this has not only made me more confident with using public transport but also helped me discover and appreciate the wide range of public transport options that London offers.
  4. Self-independence – Moving away from your family for university is no small feat, especially when you are used to the comforts of home. But a crucial part of transitioning into adult life is learning to do things on your own. I quickly learnt life skills such as cleaning, doing laundry, paying bills, and simply being aware of my surroundings. These are skills that come with living on your own, and I was keen to learn quickly to make my house a comfortable home not just for me but also for my flatmates.
  5. Looking after yourself – Finally, moving and settling into a new place for university can be overwhelming at times, so it is important to take some time out for self-care. Luckily, a city as big and beautiful as London provides many opportunities to unwind. I regularly go on walks to relax after a long day of studying, exploring the city and finding hidden gems such as cafés and parks. The SU also organises several activities such as Street Photography sessions, targeted at helping people look after themselves and have a well-balanced university experience.

Being a student at LSE means that you will be constantly learning new skills, even outside the lecture theatres. And with these skills in hand, you will be equipped to take on the challenges of independent living.

Ananya

Hi! I'm Ananya, an MSc student in the Organisational and Social Psychology programme. I'm originally from Delhi and have been living in the UK for the past 4 years. I'm very excited to be studying at LSE and experiencing life in London. In my free time, I like to cook and bake, go on walks in one of the many beautiful parks in London, explore cafés and restaurants, and watch Netflix shows!