Hanseul

August 5th, 2023

Asian cuisine foodie: London edition

Hanseul

August 5th, 2023

Asian cuisine foodie: London edition

I’m a huge fan of Asian cuisine – Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai food. In this post I share my favourite Asian spots to eat in London, most of them close to campus, which I recommend you to explore.

Korean: The Alley (Holborn)Did you all know that The Alley sells Korean food? Although it’s a bubble tea place, they also sell tteokbokki and rosé tteokbokki in their snack options. Tteokbokki is a Korean-style rice cake dish with spicy sauce, and I like how they add Korean instant ramen into their dish. In Korea, we call this rabokki (ramen and tteokbokki), but somehow that is simply called tteokbokki here. It’s £5.40 if you dine in, and you can add the optional cheese for an extra 50p. I strongly recommend you to try it, as it tastes almost like the one you’d get in a typical local snack shop in Korea.

Japanese: Wagamama (Holborn)Wagamama serves Asian food in general, but most of their dishes are Japanese. I enjoy their yasai yaki udon, a stir-fried noodle dish with vegetables. They also offer yaki soba (the same dish but with soba noodles; soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour) if you don’t like the floury taste of udon noodles. You don’t have to make a reservation to dine in, you can simply go in and get a table. (A little disclaimer: I’m recommending Wagamama as the best Japanese restaurant as opposed to the equally worthy Ippudo Ramen, as the latter serves a broth that is a bit too greasy and salty for me.)

Chinese: Happy Lamb Hot Pot (Holborn)For those of you who love a hot pot, this is a good hot pot place. Maybe bring your friends with you, since hot pots are served in portions for more than one person. Although you have to reserve a table by calling in advance and although the restaurant is relatively expensive for a student wallet, I strongly recommend it for group dinners. You can enjoy a choice of broth, meat, seafood, vegetables, tofu, mushrooms, and sauce ingredients. A less expensive recommendation is to grab the ingredients from Tian Tian in the Asian market and make the hot pot yourself. My flatmates and I have done this. We have easily cooked the ingredients in our shared kitchen and enjoyed a flat dinner together.

Vietnamese: Hoa Sen (Drury Lane)I guess a lot of you might already know Viet Eat as a go-to Vietnamese place since it’s so close to campus. I prefer Hoa Sen in Drury Lane over Viet Eat, although you’ll have to book a table beforehand. I like how Hoa Sen offers a diverse range of phos, including veggie pho and Hanoi pho. Another reason why I recommed Hoa Sen is that it’s more wheelchair accessible compared to Viet Eat (this is an important factor for me as a wheelchair user).

Thai: Monkey & Me (Marylebone)You have to call and make a booking in advance. This is probably the only place that’s a bit far away from campus of the five restaurants I’ve recommended here – I had to take two buses to get there. The servers kindly lifted my wheelchair since there was a huge step at the entrance. I strongly recommend that you order Thai iced milk tea along with your main dish. I visited the restaurant with a friend, and we ordered pad thai (noodles with tarimand-based sauce) and pad see ew (soy sauce-based noodles). Both of them were fantastic!

The noodle with tofu and nuts is the pad thai, the one above with a darker color is prawn pat see ew.

Do you have any other suggestions for Asian food spots in London? Make sure to leave them in the comments below.

Hanseul

Hello, I'm Hanseul from South Korea! I'm currently a first-year undergraduate studying International Relations and History. Apart from my academics, I enjoy writing about my daily life as an international student in London, listening to Kpop and reading.

Posted In: London life