Lola

December 2nd, 2023

Balancing the London experience while being wallet-wise

Lola

December 2nd, 2023

As a student moving to London there were a few things I was worried about before my arrival. Would I find my circle of friends? How different would the coursework be from what I was accustomed to? And one of the biggest questions – could I live an exciting life in London that fits my student budget?

Balancing the London experience while being wallet-wise isn’t always easy, but it’s definitely possible. Luckily, I’ve  got some insider tips to help you strike that balance between fun and finances. Here are my favorite ways to have fun in London, all without spending a pound: 

1. Get cultural 

London’s cultural diversity shines through vibrant neighborhoods like Camden, Brick Lane, and Covent Garden. Explore markets, street art, and the eclectic atmosphere that these areas offer, all without spending any money. If  exploring neighborhoods isn’t your cup of tea, then check out the plethora of free museums that are in the city. From the British Museum‘s ancient relics to Tate Modern‘s contemporary masterpieces, there’s sure to be a museum that you fancy.

2. Nature escapes

Need a breather from the urban hustle? You might be surprised to find that London is actually a city full of parks and greenery.Seek solace in London’s lush parks and gardens. Hyde Park, Regent’s Park, and Hampstead Heath offer idyllic spots for picnics, strolls, and relaxation. And guess what? You don’t have to go alone. Round up your friends for a wholesome day at the park. 

3. Landmarks and landscapes

I’d be remiss to not mention the fact that London is teeming with iconic landmarks. One of my personal favorite activities is taking free riverside walks along the Thames. From there you can catch a glimpse of Tower Bridge, the London Eye, and the majestic Buckingham Palace, all while soaking in the city’s rich history and architecture. I promise you, these are views that never get old. 

4. Look out for free events 

Keep your calendar open because London’s social scene is bustling with free events. If you’re feeling intellectually curious, universities like LSE host thought-provoking lectures that are open to all. And for the entertainment buffs, free film screenings, concerts, and theater productions aren’t hard to come by. Stay in the loop by subscribing to newsletters like Secret London and the Londonist. They’re my personal favorite way to find fun and new things to do in this busy city.

From culture to nature, landmarks to entertainment, London’s treasures are yours to uncover, all while being student-budget savvy. Tempted to try out one of these activities? Drop a comment letting me know how it goes. 

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: Money