Jia

How to write an amazing personal statement: a simple guide to stand out!

Jia

Embarking on the UCAS application journey is an exciting yet challenging endeavour. One of the pivotal components is the personal statement, a piece that goes beyond listing achievements to reveal your journey, passions, and future aspirations. Having successfully navigated this process, I’m eager to share my insights and tips to help you craft a standout personal statement that assisted me in securing an offer from LSE.

First, start your personal statement with a captivating introduction that narrates the incident or experience that ignited your interest in the chosen subject. Whether it’s a specific event, class, book, or personal experience, articulate the moment that sparked your curiosity and left you eager to delve deeper into the field.

Next, outline the steps you’ve taken to expand your knowledge of the subject. Mention key readings, focusing on 2-3 books suggested by the university (check the preliminary readings list in the programme pages). Emphasise the depth of your engagement by highlighting specific chapters and sharing reflections on the material. It’s not about the number of books but the quality of your engagement and the insights you’ve gained.

If you are applying for a combined degree programme, such as the BSc Politics and Economics degree, ensure you balance and effectively convey your interest in both subjects within your personal statement. Avoid predominantly discussing only one subject; instead, demonstrate equal enthusiasm and interest for both disciplines.

Meanwhile, you can discuss activities that showcase your passion for the subject. Whether it’s a case study or volunteer work, explain how these experiences deepened your understanding. Be specific about what you learned, challenges faced, and the impact on your intellectual growth.

Indeed, concisely mention extracurricular activities that honed soft skills crucial to your chosen course. Quantify your impact and focus on outcomes. Connect these skills—whether leadership, teamwork, or communication—to your future success at university and beyond.

In your conclusion, clearly articulate your vision for the future with the acquired degree. Whether in industry or research, discuss your goals and how you see yourself contributing to the community. Highlight the positive impact you hope to make with the knowledge gained from the course.

Acknowledge the complexity of crafting a compelling personal statement by seeking guidance. In my case, CollegeLAH, a Malaysian student volunteer organisation, allocated me a mentor, and my university placement office advisor provided invaluable assistance in reviewing my personal statement.

Crafting a compelling personal statement is a meticulous process. Engage in readings, conduct thorough research, reflect on experiences, connect insights to your content, and structure the narrative. Admitting the complexity, my personal statement took three months to evolve into its final form.

In summary, your UCAS personal statement is a unique opportunity to showcase your journey, passion, and aspirations. By following these tips and investing the necessary time and effort, you can create a personal statement that not only meets the requirements but also stands out among the competition.

Good luck!

Visit the LSE website for more details about the personal statement

Jia

I'm a first-year student of BSc Environment and Sustainable Development with Economics at LSE. I'm on an exciting journey to explore the vibrant and enriching LSE study life, and I'm eager to share the joy of this experience with you. My interests extend beyond academics; I'm passionate about traveling and savouring diverse cuisines. If you find my content intriguing or simply wish to engage in a friendly conversation, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Posted In: Applying: Undergraduate