Sara

March 22nd, 2024

Exploring Beyond London: Day Trips for Study Abroad Students to Bristol and Leeds

Sara

March 22nd, 2024

If you are interested in embarking on a memorable journey that allows you to blend historical charm and vibrant modernity, then look no further than Leeds and Bristol. These two dynamic cities are located in England and are easily accessible at an affordable fare on buses in comparison to trains. One of the best tools of transportation is the FlixBus and they are conveniently located near many of the LSE halls at Victoria Coach Station. Each location provides distinctive activities with various art in Bristol and beautiful museums in Leeds. 

Leeds Art Gallery 

The Leeds Art Gallery provides many exhibitions. I explored the Found Cities and Lost Objects recently, which has been up since January 26 and will be exhibited until April 21 in the gallery. It is conveniently located in the heart of Leeds and is free to everyone. As I walked through the gallery, I was able to explore the urban environment through the eyes of women, curated by Turner Prize-winning Lubaina Himid CBE. For more information about what the venue offers, you can easily visit the website to check out what hours the various art activities and events are displayed for that day. Many social issues were highlighted which allowed many discussions with the study abroad students that I went to Leeds with, including an array of art themes ranging from that of Victorian art to social activism. As we explored historical traditions to artworks pushing the boundaries, art museums have always provided me a space to think about social issues from an in-depth and abstract method. 

Leeds City Museum 

One of the most popular museums in the city is the Leeds City Museum. This was the largest museum we visited on our day trip as it brought history alive with a range of artefacts from ancient civilization all the way to the Industrial Revolution. It gave us a glimpse of Leeds’ most significant historical events, allowing visitors to engage with various events of the past. Apart from the section regarding Leeds’ past, the museum was surprisingly diversified with exhibits ranging from archaeology to natural history. There were also many activities to engage with across the museum which explains why there were also lots of children. Nevertheless, any excuse to play a few games and learn some neat facts is nearly impossible to resist! The interactive learning goes beyond many museums today as it offers hands-on workshops for children and screenings of social issues for adults. I truly enjoyed engaging in this museum as it provided a sense of community engagement as a hub for cultural exchange through educational programs and thought-provoking lectures. Entry to this museum was also free!

Art in Bristol 

A day trip to Bristol would not be possible without spotting some artwork along the streets. The city is famous for its many wall illustrations from Banksy – who is from Bristol. Although it felt like a scavenger hunt as we searched for the pieces, it was undeniably my favourite part of the city. It provided us with an opportunity to see Bristol as we walked across bridges, rode buses, and explored magnificent artwork alongside the unique and colourful architecture of the city. We went to Hanover Place to spot the renowned Girl with the Pierced Eardrum, one of the most iconic pieces of art by Banksy. On the other hand, there was also really neat artwork across the streets generally–I spotted artwork highlighting the importance of recognizing the value of women and others demonstrating the urgency of combating climate change today. 

Sara

Hi everyone! My name is Sara and I am a General Course student for 2023/24 at the London School of Economics and Political Science. I am in the Department of Economics at LSE and have enjoyed broadening my global perspective as I interact with international students and travel during breaks. I look forward to sharing my experiences with others as a Study Abroad Content Creator.

Posted In: Study Abroad