Sara

How the Study Abroad Midterm Socials have enriched my experience

Sara

One of the best ways to meet other study abroad students is by registering for the Study Abroad events, ranging from the Study Abroad Boat Party in Welcome Week to the recent Midterm Social. The study abroad students I’ve met from that first week have continued to be some of my closest friends today while I’ve been studying abroad in London, joining me in exploring the architecture and palaces across England. I highly recommend attending these events to interact with other students going through the same journey and to simply expand your network, making friends from across the world and expanding your knowledge about various cultures and languages. Following a majority vote on what activity to do for the Study Abroad Midterm Social this year, Boom Battle Bar won by a large landslide. I thought it would be solely an axe-throwing bar but it ended up having a lot more activities provided, allowing us to switch up at any point throughout the night. 

Axe Throwing

Although many of us were not aware of the protocols on how to throw an axe, there were instructors there to teach us how to grip the axe and aim it. It was incredibly fun to have an axe-throwing competition with our peers as we learned a new skill together and a form of stress relief during Winter Term. With formative and summative assessments just around the corner, it was a great way to reconnect with other students and escape the library for a little while, but, it also allowed us to develop a skill with team building exercises. Although it’s more than halfway through the school year, it’s never too late to make more friends. At the event, I surprisingly met other study abroad students I had yet to greet from previous social events. I was glad to have met so many new people and created new connections simply by inviting them to an axe-throwing competition. 

Darts 

On the other hand, there was also the opportunity to throw darts. From darts to axe throwing, these activities were truly testing people’s ability to successfully aim at a target. Having previously practiced throwing darts for the first time in the last Economics department social event and surprisingly winning due to my motivation enriched in the competitive atmosphere, I was more than thrilled to see another opportunity to play darts once again. I’ve found a new hobby! As I played darts, I also made new friends by interacting with other study abroad students which I had not previously recognised because of how large the School is and the many classes offered. Nevertheless, I’m glad that the Midterm Social allowed me to connect with other study abroad students from around the world. 

Miniature Golf

Personally, I had voted for Swingers Crazy Golf for the Midterm Social so I was electrified to see the mini golf option in Boom Battle Bar. I was the first to zoom straight there and get a round going as I marked everyone’s scores and went through all the obstacle courses. I wasn’t sure if anyone was aware if it was open so I simply announced it as I quickly followed the employee while carrying several golf clubs to ensure everyone could have a go with the course. Almost everyone ended up at the golf course and the competitive energy was vamped up within seconds. Along with that, the first 50 people got a free drink upon entry, so my friends and I made sure to arrive on time! Throughout all the various activities offered at Boom Battle Bar, I really appreciate everyone’s sportsmanship, encouraging one another, even when others felt like giving up on the sport. This friendly competitive atmosphere was beneficial to creating a great time for everyone!

Sara

Hi everyone! My name is Sara and I am a General Course student for 2023/24 at the London School of Economics and Political Science. I am in the Department of Economics at LSE and have enjoyed broadening my global perspective as I interact with international students and travel during breaks. I look forward to sharing my experiences with others as a Study Abroad Content Creator.

Posted In: Study Abroad