Sakina

What should I do this spring break?

Sakina

What should I do this spring break?

Spring time is here! As I write, it’s pouring down with rain, which isn’t uncommon for the spring season or England. People expect spring to be a season of sun, growth, and blossoming — but to grow, you need rain, which feels ironic… I suppose this leads into discussing my plans; perhaps I can inspire you for what you could do during this long-awaited spring break. 

Indoor activities

As mentioned before, the rain is quite a common phenomenon here and can often interfere with your plans. This is why I have a few indoor and inexpensive activities which are my “go-to” for any break when I need to relax.

There’s something calming about baking (when you know what you’re doing!) I would invite you to bake at least one treat this spring break. Perhaps, you could decorate it in pastel colours in accordance with the season. I may try and bake a cake with my younger siblings, but I feel as though that would be more stressful than relaxing… However, there’s something fun about experimenting in the kitchen, so it’s definitely still a fun thing you can do this spring break. 

Another indoor activity would be a movie marathon, whether this be an individual experience or with family and friends. Pick a theme or a genre, and watch as many movies as you can. To make it more fun and productive, you could formulate a movie journal, noting down different aspects or themes of each film. I’m going to attempt this with different Disney and Pixar films because they’re comfort movies for me and take my mind off my upcoming assignment deadlines. Journaling and crafts could also be a form of decorative fun, which are always interesting experiences.

Outdoor activities

London is home to many beautiful sights, which can be more appreciated in spring/summer climates especially. For instance, you can take a day trip at a local park and have a picnic or go sightseeing. 

The most obvious park that comes to mind is Hyde Park. As a Londoner, it might be quite shocking to hear, but I’ve only been to Hyde Park twice. It’s a large place, but both times that I visited, it’s been an amazing experience. Additionally, if you can catch the weather on a good day, perhaps a day at the park would be suitable for you. 

I would also highly recommend Kew Gardens, which practically embodies the spring season, as it’s home to beautiful botanical gardens and wonderful scenery. 

I hope you have a lovely spring break and don’t stress too much about exams or assignments. They are important, but please allow yourself time to rest and relax: advice that I give to you — and myself!

Sakina

I’m Sakina and I’m a third year Sociology student at LSE. I’m quite interested in the interconnections between empire, nationality and race in the UK. I also have an interest in educational inequality and attainment. I’ve lived in London my whole life and love writing. Feel free to interact with my posts and I hope you enjoy them.

Posted In: London life