Le-Anne

April 15th, 2024

Navigating Europe as a Solo Traveler

Le-Anne

April 15th, 2024

Navigating Europe as a Solo Traveler

When I first started college in my home university in France, I shocked my parents by telling them that I was going to take a solo trip down to Marseille. While it might not seem much for the seasoned traveller, it was safe to say that it was beyond nerve-wrecking for a first-time solo traveller like myself. Since then, I have independently made 11 trips to 16 cities. Solo travelling slowly became part of my identity — my friends and the people around me now know me for my love for travelling and exploring new cities alone. 

You must be wondering — what exactly is the appeal of travelling alone? Doesn’t it get lonely? Is it not scary? 

Well, solo travelling is definitely not for everyone. Some people may enjoy the company they get when travelling with friends, while some destinations may feel safer if you’re travelling in a big group compared to doing it alone. Nevertheless, the perks of solo travelling can appeal to those who prefer to have a travel schedule centred on personal time, personal activities and the chance to meet new friends and make new memories with other solo travellers!

With that being said, here are some tips to take onboard if you’re considering a solo trip for your next break:

Safety and comfort is your first priority

Many of my friends have voiced their concerns about staying in hostels on their first solo trip. As a seasoned solo traveller, I love the vibes and environment of hostels as I find it the fastest way to mix and mingle with other solo travellers! But I understand that the safety aspect of hostels may throw some people off from travelling alone, especially for a lot of first-time female solo travellers. When I first starting solo travelling, I went for hotels instead of hostels as I felt more comfortable in a private room. Progressively, I moved to hostels as I felt a lot more at ease living and sleeping in the same room as other travellers. Take each step of solo travelling at your own pace! 

Using your hostel as a starting point

As much as I loved to go around the city on my own, I would partake in the hostel activities that were being organised too. This helped me find a community and meet new friends during my holidays. Especially for big hostels, hostel activities take place almost everyday, and hostel staff will arrange for travellers to visit particular monuments, try out a new restaurant or even play games together. One of my favourite activities was to join pub crawls organised by the hostels I stayed in. To be able to check out different bars and pubs that were recommended by the hostel was an interesting experience, and I also got the opportunity to chat with others over food and drink, while exploring the city. 

Joining tours

I found that joining free walking tours, or even paid day trip tours helped me participate in many things that I would not have possibly done alone. Free walking tours help you manage your travel budget while still getting the full experience of the city, while paid day trip tours help you (as a solo traveller) to explore further destinations that may be harder to reach without private transport (if you do not drive for example). 

Travelling with common sense

I cannot emphasise the importance of additional precautions when travelling by yourself! While most major cities are safe enough, it doesn’t hurt to be a little more careful when you’re travelling alone. It’s a given to avoid overly off-the-road areas in town, and to always keep in touch with family and friends to let them know that you’re safe — especially as a first-time traveller. As a fervent lover of pub crawls, I make it a point to stick to brightly-lit streets or head back to my hostel with some of my new friends, especially if the evening ends late. Always be aware of your surroundings and of your belongings — while I’ve never personally experienced problems like pickpocketing or theft, but it remains an unfortunate problem that many solo travellers face.

Solo travelling does not have to be difficult or scary — on the contrary, as long as you take the necessary precautions and plan your first trip well, it can be a memorable experience. If you are still thinking about whether you’d enjoy the solo travelling life, I highly recommend that you give it a shot because after all, you miss all the shots you don’t take! 

Le-Anne

Hi there! My name is Le-Anne, and I'm a third-year exchange student on the GO LSE programme. I am from Singapore, but I studied in France for the first two years of university before arriving in London this year. My academic interests are in Politics and History, and I love to do anything related with these areas of study. In my free time, I enjoy cooking, dancing, making music and video editing. I'm also an avid fan of solo travelling and hope to visit as many European countries as I can before I complete my studies at the LSE. I'm really looking forward to sharing fun and interesting content with everyone!

Posted In: Study Abroad