Gauri

May 23rd, 2024

How do I get involved in volunteering at LSE?

Gauri

May 23rd, 2024

LSE’s motto is “rerum cognoscere causas,” meaning “to know the causes of things”. It was primarily chosen to support the School’s founding purpose of “the betterment of society.” The LSE Volunteer Centre is at the forefront of that goal. 

I’m engaged with the LSE Volunteer Centre as a Student Volunteering Ambassador, where I speak to students and share my passion for volunteering. This year, LSE’s Global Day of Volunteering was on 15 February 2024 and was part of LSE Volunteering Week. The first LSE Global Day of Volunteering was organised in 2023, clocking in over 300 hours of volunteering collectively for the community. This year, the LSE Volunteer Centre organised a host of activities and events, too.

The LSE Volunteer Centre offers ample opportunities that can fit into your busy schedule. A type of volunteering offered through CareerHub is one-off volunteering (no commitment to a set schedule but you can just show up on the day and get working!) My personal experience as a Student Volunteer has been enlightening; I participated in various one-off volunteering opportunities in the Autumn term, including festive volunteering at Ham House in Richmond (decorating their festive Christmas tree), writing letters for patients at a care home, and volunteering for an afternoon at a soup kitchen!

If you have more time and would like to get involved in a committed opportunity, sign up to their newsletter by updating your preference to include “volunteering.” Each Monday, they’ll send you a list of opportunities to get involved in for whichever cause you support. Additionally, volunteering overseas is an option if you’re interested. Add “volunteering (overseas)” in your preferences and browse opportunities posted on your tailored LSE Career Hub. You can book a direct one-to-one appointment with David Coles, Volunteer Centre Manager who you can discuss your specific goals and help tailor your volunteering journey to your goals.

I believe that volunteering and participating in the wider community is a crucial component of being part of the LSE community. As a Student Volunteering Ambassador, I encourage others to also do so; it’s been a rewarding activity and complements my time at LSE perfectly. 

I often ask myself: “Why am I studying what I’m studying?” and I’m reminded that it’s a way to engage with the world, to have a positive impact on the communities we inhabit, and to ultimately give back in some shape or form – all contributing to making the world a better place.

You can apply to volunteering opportunities through LSE Career Hub where they’re regularly posted.

Gauri

Hi, everyone. I'm Gauri, 24, from Mumbai, India. I study MSc Management and Strategy, a specialist degree in Managerial Economics. I'm excited for this new chapter at LSE! I have an undergraduate degree in Economics from St Xavier’s, Mumbai and was also an ERASMUS Scholar at SOAS, University of London. After graduating, I worked in finance at a healthcare company as well as in social impact consulting. Academically, I'm interested in the application of theoretical economic models to business case studies. In my spare time, apart from stressing about all the things I should instead be doing, I enjoy reading and exploring bookshops.

Posted In: Student life | Student Life: Advice