Bahar Yarmohammad

May 11th, 2023

Guest Blog: Bahar’s inspiration in running for Ms Great Britain

Bahar Yarmohammad

May 11th, 2023

In this blog, we hear from LSE alumni, Bahar, who completed a double degree in 2012 at UCL and LSE, receiving her BEng Mechancial Engineering and BSc Finance, respectively. Now, she is a Ms Great Britain finalist 2023 and is doing important fundraising for UK cancer research and Alex’s Wish. You can read more about her personal journey from LSE, to being personally affected by cancer, to Ms Great Britain below. 

I would like to take few minutes of your time to share my story with the same minded people that I have faith in them. People who I believe can make the world a better place. My name is Bahar and I graduated in 2012 from LSE. I worked in financial services for 10 years before launching my startup in retail technology in 2021. A few months ago I decided to participate in Miss Great Britain contest to find the right platform to make my voice heard and has a meaningful impact on my society.

In this amazing journey, I was lucky to have the chance to support two amazing charities on their fund raising journey, UK Cancer Research and Alex’s wish. I’ve started this journey when I was only 18; after being admitted to two of the best universities in the world (UCL and LSE) I felt like I am the luckiest girl on this planet. There was no dull moment for me. After one week of starting the university, I found out that my mom has been diagnosed by breast cancer grade 3. I was thousands miles away from her; she was back home in Iran and I even didn’t have the chance to be by her side. Every morning I woke up with the thought that maybe I won’t be able to see her again. My mom is the bravest woman I ever know. She fought for her life because of me, because of us, because of her family. She fought every second of her life to survive and she did. One year later after receiving all her treatments she survived because she is a warrior. She was always my role model and still she is.

But that wasn’t the end of my story. A few years later, when I was 23, my father was diagnosed with stomach cancer grade 4, which is the most advanced stage of cancer. Back at that time I had just started my career in investment banking and I was full of hope for the future. I went through the toughest 6 months of my life as my life changed dramatically. I was working very hard during the day till late evenings and was next to my dad till midnight day after day. Unfortunately all that endless love and sacrifice didn’t work the way I was hoping to work and I lost my father. My whole world went upside down. It’s hard to even put how it feels to lose a parent into words. I felt lost in my body; I couldn’t imagine my life without him.

After two weeks I went back to work more determined than ever. I was now fully in charge of my life to be that strong woman that I knew my father would be proud of. At the funeral, I promised my father one thing to keep his name alive.I became head of investment at one of the largest Venture Capital firms at age of 26. My father was a successful serial entrepreneur; I promised him to build something from scratch with passion and enthusiasm one day I did it. I left investment banking and started my tech startup few years ago. 

Now after almost 10 years I have been given the opportunity to do something impactful that can change many peoples lives. I don’t want to see anyone suffering from losing their loved one as it is the biggest sorrow in the world. I am so grateful that Miss Great Britain has given me the chance to be part of an impactful act by raising fund and awareness for two of the most  amazing charities, Cancer Research UK and Alex’s Wish, and I want all of you to join me in this life changing journey. Let’s do this all together. Let’s bring smile back to many people faces. We can beat cancer together.

If you are interested in supporting Bahar’s charitable causes for her Ms Great Britain 2023 run, you can find out more at here at Alex’s Wish and Cancer Research UK.

If Bahar has inspired you to volunteer, check out one of our other ongoing opportunities or book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories. 

Bahar Yarmohammad

Alumni in Engineering with Business Finance (2012)

Posted In: Volunteer Experiences