Andrea Sissa-Velandia

May 19th, 2023

Guest Blog: Andrea’s experience with the Summer Volunteering Scheme for Disabled Students

Andrea Sissa-Velandia

May 19th, 2023

In this blog, we more about Andrea’s volunteering role with LSE’s Summer Volunteering Scheme for Disabled Students. Andrea volunteered with Be Enriched as a canteen volunteer and reflects on her experience in this writing. If you are interested in Be Enriched’s volunteer opportunities or the Scheme, keep reading! 

I worked as a canteen volunteer at Be Enriched in Elephant and Castle. My primary duties were to help in the kitchen to cook three vegetarian meals for our guests, make the necessary arrangements to have the canteen ready for our community and make our guests feel welcome. My volunteering experience at Be Enriched was awesome! This volunteering experience made me feel part of a community that enjoys spending time together while cooking or sharing a meal. I found it profoundly rewarding when we cooked the meals and how people enjoyed the food and appreciated our effort. When I had conversations with our guests, I always felt welcome by them, and I felt they enjoyed our company and commitment. What is more, I had the opportunity to meet many volunteers that were always in the best attitude to help and make the experience fantastic for our guests and the team.

I wanted to try volunteering because I wanted to work with a team of committed people and be part of an important cause aiming to address real social issues. Also, working as a volunteer would help me with my mental health because I could interact with other people, develop empathy and overcome the effects of isolation during the pandemic. Finally, I considered this the perfect opportunity to improve abilities such as communication skills, empathy and self-confidence. The Canteen Volunteer role at Be Enriched exceeded all these expectations far and beyond. Mainly, I found fascinating the target population of the organisation. Socially excluded people with daily struggles can face many challenges, and being able to talk to them, provide food and learn with them was really valuable for me. Moreover, the idea of using food that otherwise would be wasted caught my attention, and I consider this a noble way to use that food. Plus, I love cooking, and I could learn more about it!

If you are considering applying to the Summer Volunteering Scheme, go for it! I deeply recommend it. For me, this was a rewarding experience that helped me grow personally and professionally in different dimensions. I learnt from people in the volunteer team, but also, I learnt a lot from our guests. It was very rewarding to see how my work with the kitchen team could contribute to the well-being of our guests, how food brings everyone together and how they enjoy the food and the company. Also, the sense of community is fantastic since you are part of something tangibly changing lives. Plus, if you volunteer for Be Enriched and you go to the Elephant Canteen, you can enjoy the desserts cooked by Peter, they are absolutely amazing!

You can read the opportunities available on CareerHub and also complete the application form. If you are struggling to access these and would like to be considered for the scheme then please email volunteer@lse.ac.uk and we will be in touch with further information.

Andrea Sissa-Velandia

MSc in International Social and Public Policy

Posted In: Events and Opportunities | Information