Sophie

August 15th, 2023

Welcome: Meet the LSE Volunteer Centre Team!

Sophie

August 15th, 2023

Welcome to the LSE or welcome back!

The LSE Volunteer Centre is here to help you find rewarding volunteering opportunities for causes you are passionate about, during your time at LSE. In this blogpost, you can read more about who we are and what the Volunteer Centre can do to support your journey as a member of the LSE community.

Who We Are

Meet Dave: My name is Dave and I am the Manager of the LSE Volunteer Centre. My aim is to inspire and empower students to volunteer for causes they are passionate about. I also campaigns for responsible international volunteering, I’m a football coach and I have volunteered as a photographer for several charities. I am is also a member of the national committee of the Student Volunteering Network and previously I worked at the UK’s National Volunteering Database.

Meet Rosie: My name is Rosie and I am the LSE Volunteer Centre Programme Manager.  I have a master’s and a PhD from the LSE. As an LSE alum, and with a background in research and teaching, I take responsibility for the Volunteer Centre’s Community Engagement Programme – a consultancy scheme – and the Alumni Mentoring Scheme, which forms a part of the Community Engagement Programme.  I also manage the Summer Volunteering Scheme for Disabled Students, in collaboration with LSE Careers; and am developing a new volunteering programme (watch this space!) in which LSE students are invited to use their academic knowledge and skills to answer academic questions posed by charities! My passion centres on helping to make a difference in the world via learning and research.

Meet Ali: Hi, I’m Ali and I’m a Student Volunteering Coordinator at the LSE Volunteer Centre. My role is to deliver programmes and opportunities which connect students to the types of volunteering they are interested in. Within this, I have the great opportunity to support our group of Student Volunteering Ambassadors as well as students who are inspired to create their own volunteering initiatives through Student-led Volunteering. I also create the calendar of one-off volunteering opportunities which take place throughout the year, where students can participate in short, accessible volunteering activities in collaboration with charities and community organisations, both on and off campus.

Meet Sophie: My name is Sophie and I am the Volunteer Centre Coordinator for the LSE Volunteer Centre! I help organise the operations of the VC, support our amazing team, and coordinate our communications and marketing efforts. I recently finished my MSc in Gender, Media and Culture here at the LSE and am excited to continue my involvement in the LSE community. Because of this, I am very passionate about using forms of civic engagement and community togetherness to remedy intersectional inequities!

If you would like to get in contact with us at the LSE Volunteer Centre, please email volunteering@lse.ac.uk for more information!

What We Do

We know that LSE students want to make the world a better place and the truth is, you are never more needed. That’s why we work with hundreds of charity and NGO partners to promote a really diverse number of opportunities. You can check these out on LSE CareerHub, our online vacancy board. So whether your passionate about homelessnesssupporting refugees or giving young people the best possible start, we’ll support you in finding that perfect opportunity.

We understand that LSE students are time pressured and that’s why we have a one-off volunteering programme. Opportunities are from one hour to one day (max), with no further commitment, and they’re a great chance to meet fellow students from around the school, whilst giving back!

To see some inspiring examples of how LSE students have made a difference, check out our LSE Volunteer brochure.

Stay tuned for more information about how you can prepare for your arrival at LSE!

And if you are already inspired to volunteer, check out one of our other ongoing opportunities or book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories. 

Sophie

MSc in Gender, Media and Culture and Volunteer Centre Coordinator

Posted In: Information