Sophie

Volunteering Advice from your Sabbatical Officers

Sophie

In this blogpost, you can read about volunteering advice and experiences from two of the 2023-24 LSESU Sabbatical Officers, Sarah Onifade and Chris Adewoye. As both leaders and representatives of the LSE student body, Sarah and Chris provide helpful insight on what it means to be a student volunteer as well as how to maximise your time at LSE by volunteering!

Sarah: Welfare and Liberation Officer 

Volunteering holds immense personal significance for me, intertwining with my upbringing in an interfaith family and the values of compassion and service instilled within it. Growing up, I was exposed to the principles of zakat and charitable giving, which emphasized the importance of helping those in need regardless of religious affiliation.

Engaging in volunteer work has not only allowed me to align with these faith values but has also deeply enriched my own sense of purpose and connection to others. It has provided me with a tangible way to live out my beliefs, to make a meaningful impact in the lives of others, and to foster a sense of community and solidarity.

Through volunteering, I’ve come to realize the profound power of empathy and the transformative effect of giving back. It has offered me moments of reflection, gratitude, and humility, reminding me of the blessings I have and the responsibility I bear to share them with those less fortunate.

Volunteering has become more than just an activity; it’s become a fundamental part of who I am and how I navigate the world. It has strengthened my relationships, broadened my perspective, and deepened my understanding of the interconnectedness of humanity. Ultimately, it’s through giving back that I find purpose, fulfilment, and a profound sense of gratitude for the privilege of making a positive difference in the lives of others.

Chris: Activities and Communities Officer 

My most rewarding experience as a volunteer was my one-year stint as the Athletics Union President here at LSE, where I was responsible for the organisation and growth of our 3,000-member, 42-club strong sporting community. I managed to make an impact by increasing the capacity for people to connect outside the classroom meaningfully again in a post-COVID world, through the shared love of sport.

My advice to LSE students looking to volunteer would to be to look for an opportunity that truly aligns with your interest and values, and resonates with who you are as a person, or maybe who you even want to become.

Fully engage with the opportunity and be a sponge, soaking up all the expertise and knowledge you can, and you’ll be amazed at how much you will grow as an individual!

If Sarah and Chris have inspired you to volunteer, check out one of our other ongoing opportunities or book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories.

Sophie

MSc in Gender, Media and Culture and Volunteer Centre Coordinator

Posted In: Volunteer Experiences