Julian Yap Joe Nin

Meet me at the ice rink

Julian Yap Joe Nin

Meet me at the ice rink

Winter can mean a lot of things. One of them is all about spending your time on the ice rink skating until all your limbs hurt the next day. But one thing’s for sure, it is definitely worth it.

One of the things that I love the most about London during the winter is all the creative and artisanal lights and decorations that truly set the mood for the holidays. Although the sun sets much earlier resulting in the skies getting darker much sooner, the winter festivities make up for it.

Despite Paris being known as the city of lights and love, it better watch out because London has got something up their sleeve. Whether you are with your friends, family or your special someone, London is definitely THE romantic place to be especially during the holidays with your loved ones. This is evidenced by spending an evening at one of the most stunning ice rinks I have ever seen: Somerset House.

768F45EB-F2B7-4840-8CD7-11802ED451B7D143951A-7E99-4D5F-8094-B64F350003EDFrom 18 December 2015 to 10 January 2016, Somerset House, on the Strand has transformed itself into a magical and dreamy atmosphere where you can enjoy yourselves whether you’re on or off the ice. Eventually, every LSE student will need to de-stress from all the readings, coursework and thinking. This coupled with the fact that this beautiful ice skating rink is just right around the corner from LSE’s Clement House is a great reason to take some time off to visit this one-of-a-kind spectacle.

Though it may be less busy to go ice skating at Somerset House during the day, I would highly recommend going in the evenings instead. The stunning Somerset House courtyard  after dark is so beautiful, it definitely took my breath away. The lights from the Christmas tree and the decorations as well as the excitement from everyone eagerly waiting to get onto the ice created  a vivacious and lively atmosphere. This got me incredibly pumped about the next hour ahead getting to just skate around endlessly and dance to music ranging from Christmas-themed to contemporary pop.

281413BC-E6D1-4489-9349-A0145351F8B9C5F231C9-627D-4162-8628-D5A7F0E35B90A few tips to think about. You really do not have to worry if you are not incredible on the ice. In fact, it really does not matter at all. There are rails for you to hold onto and ice skating guides present who will be there to help you if you do end up slipping and falling. Be sure to wrap up in warm clothing since it will be really chilly outdoors on the ice rink. However, the most important thing of all to remember is that it is all about enjoying yourself and having fun. Going ice skating at Somerset House during the winter is something I have always dreamed of doing and now,  I can proudly say that this is one off my bucket list. I definitely soaked up all of this ice skating extravaganza and my friends certainly made it a more memorable experience than I could have ever imagined.

A big shoutout to Jenna, Sarah, Beatrice, Jin and Giorgia!

More information on Somerset House’s ice rink. You definitely do not want to miss this wonderful opportunity!

Happy holidays everyone and I for one, cannot wait to be back at LSE in the New Year!

Julian Yap Joe Nin

Follow me on my food, travel, lifestyle and LSE adventures at @julianyapjoenin (Instagram) and @julianyap4 (Twitter)

Posted In: London life