Brianna

January 2nd, 2020

Christmas in London: Must see Markets

Brianna

January 2nd, 2020

Christmas in London: Must see Markets

Although the weather takes a turn for the worst this time of year, one can’t help but feel warm and fuzzy while walking through London during the holiday season.  Aside from the bright lights that outline Regent’s Street, Christmas markets of all sizes are sprinkled throughout the city just waiting to be explored. Here are a few of my favorites:

Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park (of course): This is by far the biggest and most popular Christmas event in London – food, bars, rides, and everything Christmas takes up most of Hyde Park during this time of year. There’s so much to do, I’d set aside at least two nights to explore Winter Wonderland to make sure you have time to do everything!

Southbank Christmas Market: A personal favorite of mine, this medium-sized market has food stands and homemade gift stalls complimented by views of the London Eye, Big Ben, and Westminster. Grab a mulled wine, some gloves, and window shop along the stalls while walking along the Thames – so scenic!

Leicester Square and Covent Garden: Since the Leicester Square Market is a bit smaller, I paired it up with Covent Garden since they’re just a short tube stop away from each other. Covent Garden has an adorable indoor market with homemade gifts and decadent Christmas décor as well as a huge Christmas tree out front. Leicester Square Market has yummy food and mulled wines and ciders, as well as those delicious, tiny, pancakes that you can cover in chocolate, syrup, sweets, or whipped cream.

Camden Market: Although it’s not a Christmas Market year-round, Camden Market has some of my favorite street food in London. But this year, for the first time, they’ve included an ice-skating rink! Ice skating is one of my favorite things to do during the winter and I cannot wait to try out this rink.

Christmas by the River: Another scenic option, this Christmas Market sprawls along the Thames at the foot of the Shard, right off Tower Bridge. The lights, decorations, and views of the Thames are unbeatable. And bonus – if you’re an ice-skating fanatic like myself, you can buy tickets to skate at the Tower of London which is just across the river from the market!

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: London life