Brianna

June 3rd, 2020

Advice for Incoming LSE Students

Brianna

June 3rd, 2020

Advice for Incoming LSE Students

I can’t believe I’m even writing this blog post – I feel like I just started at LSE and should be the one reading advice.

Even though COVID-19 cut my in-person LSE experience a bit short, I wouldn’t change anything about my time as a master’s student at LSE.

For anyone lucky enough to be starting (or returning) to LSE next fall, here are some things I’d love to share:

Get Involved:

I know it may sound like cliché and overused advice but getting involved at LSE made such a difference for me – personally, academically, and professionally. ‘Getting involved’ can look like so many things: joining Student Union clubs, attending career fairs, or even joining the LSE gym or class pass fitness classes. (My favorite class was ‘Legs, Bums, and Tums’ – great music and an even better workout). These are great ways to learn more, grow your career prospects, and meet new people!

Take advantage:

It is such a privilege to be an LSE student and that student status affords us so many opportunities.  Embracing everything from access to LSE events, student discounts, and the LSE network, I really tried to make the most of being there. I think everyone should!

Reach out to your professors:

Maybe you have similar interests or come from a similar place, but it’s always worth it to get to know your professors. They’re there to teach, yes, but they’ve also worked in the field you’re studying and have real-world experience.  I still reach out to one of my favorite professors whose been super helpful by letting me bounce dissertation ideas off of her.

Connect with your course mates:

It’s really easy, especially in a master’s program to only be at LSE when you have to be, and only talk to those people you need to.  But LSE is such a diverse community you miss out on so much by just keeping to yourself.  Stay for lunch one day or suggest a study group – people are more eager to connect that it may seem.

Enjoy it!

Another cliché saying coming your way but – enjoy your time at LSE, it goes by so quickly! Whether you’re there for a term, a year, or a full undergraduate three years, it’ll go by much faster than you’ll want it to!

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: Applying: Masters | Applying: PhD | Applying: Undergraduate | Student life