Ana-Maria

February 23rd, 2021

Keeping Active: The Dance Club

Ana-Maria

February 23rd, 2021

Keeping Active: The Dance Club

Joining the LSE Dance Club in my first year has probably been one of the best (extra-curricular) decisions that I have made during my time at LSE. Dancing in the Dance Club has not only helped me keep active, especially given the COVID-19 circumstances, but has also allowed me to meet some very talented and motivated dancers. I not only feel as if I have improved my dancing abilities throughout my time at LSE, but I also feel part of a very friendly group. Being part of the Dance Club has really helped me cultivate my passion for dance, especially given the fact that I had taken a pretty extensive break from dancing before coming to university. By welcoming students of all levels, Dance Club really does provide a welcoming environment in which one can improve their dancing skills. Additionally, the supportive community, along with the general fun of dancing, has also been extremely useful in offering me a break when I have felt stressed due to university work.

LSE Dance Club members in Sheffield Street during Fresher’s Fair in September 2015.

As with any other society, COVID-19 has impacted the way in which LSE Dance Club carries out its activities and events. However, we have adapted fairly quickly to the situation. For example, weekly dance classes carried out by professional teachers are now offered via Zoom, whilst the flagship event of the year, the Lent Term show, will be streamed in a video format. The President describes her experience of Dance Club this year in the following way:

“Like with most clubs, Dance Club was also heavily impacted by COVID-19: we faced sudden cancellations of our annual showcase, weekly in-person dance classes and fun social events. Moving everything to a virtual format was challenging to say the least. However, Dance Club is nothing if not resilient. The amazing community that gathers around the shared love for dance has made it possible to continue our activities no matter where in the world everyone is. From the struggles of setting up a Zoom dance class in your bedroom and learning choreography from a small screen, we are now excited to prepare a virtual showcase and testing our creativity in ways that would never have been possible on stage!”

No matter the COVID-19 circumstances, I definitely believe that the Dance Club will continue to provide engaging events and quality classes to its members, whether that be virtually or in-person. The Dance Club still has many exciting activities planned for this year, which are worth keeping an eye out for!

Check out some of the events from previous years:

Ana-Maria

Hi! I am an undergraduate student studying Law at LSE.

Posted In: Student life