Anisa Zaman

March 18th, 2021

Spotlight On My Degree – BA Geography

Anisa Zaman

March 18th, 2021

Spotlight On My Degree – BA Geography

I hadn’t always loved Geography, especially at the start of secondary school. However, over time, I have learned that this is the subject for me and I do not regret choosing to study it at university!

What I love the most about Geography is its interdisciplinary nature, and the LSE BA Geography course has just that!

Whilst it is mainly focused on human geography, there are modules based on sustainability and weeks where we learn about the environment if that is something you are interested in. From political geography to urban geography, LSE covers it all in a relevant and engaging way, focusing on current issues and debates. The COVID-19 pandemic is at the heart of this and is used to help us understand current and possible future trends. I am especially enjoying my GY103 Contemporary Europe module as it has really helped me understand the current political climate we live in as well as helping me understand that I really enjoy policy work. Next year’s modules will be even more specialised and I can’t wait to study more about the fields of Geography that I am really passionate about!

Something I wish I had realised before starting the course was how economics-based the modules would be, even though this is a BA Geography course. However, I am so glad that it is because it has made me really understand more about the world of economics, something that previously was very confusing for me. The course also provides the option of studying a module outside of the Geography department, and I chose EC100 Introduction to Economics, which has really been helpful in providing me the basics that I need for the rest of my Geography modules. Of course, it is not all economics-based but it is something that should be viewed as enhancing what you learn about the field of Geography!

Find out more about BA Geography and the Department of Geography and Environment on LSE’s Virtual Undergraduate Open Day pages.

Disclaimer – Courses/modules change year-to-year, so make sure you check the most up-to-date listing to see what will be available to you.

Anisa Zaman

A first year BA Geography student, interested in geopolitics and contemporary fiction.

Posted In: Applying: Undergraduate | Student life