Mauricio Baez Sedeno

Why did I choose LSE?

Mauricio Baez Sedeno

Why did I choose LSE?

The main entrance to Old Building in Houghton Street

Studying in LSE is a dream come true. When I first came to London in a school excursion as a high school student, I remember walking past by LSE. I knew how prestigious this university was, so I told one of my friends to take me a picture in front of the Old Building. 7 years later, I am happy to say I am now a student here. But what is it about LSE that makes it so special?

Location, location, location. LSE is situated in the heart of the vibrant city of London. Personally, I love big cities. I come from a very big one myself, Mexico City. At first big cities may seem a bit overwhelming, but suddenly you become part of them. Although there are some things not to like, such as noise and traffic, it is totally outweighed by all the fun things you can do. I personally enjoy going out to restaurants and trying out exotic dishes, and London will offer me so many different options to choose from!

Multicultural community: This university brings together people from more than 140 countries. It is amazing all the thing you can learn not only from your teachers, but from your flat mates and peers. In my case, I live in Butler´s Wharf Residence and my flat mates come from India, New Zealand, Brazil, China, Belgium, and the UK. We constantly have some very interesting discussions while having coffee in the morning.

Academic Reputation: LSE is considered a leading social science institution. My department offers such a wide variety of courses that explores the intersections of development with democracy, gender, environment, technology, and health. My peers and I feel like kids in a sweetshop while having to choose only four courses from all the options available. Besides the lectures and seminars, LSE offers so many optional events you can go to. For example, in the following weeks Nobel Prize winners Amartya Sen and Jose Manuel Santos will be giving a public lecture.

Amartya Sen, recipient of the 1998 Nobel Prize in Economics and an honorary fellow of LSE, attending a lecture by Professor Kaushik Basu in March 2015.

Long story short, if you are into social sciences LSE is definitely the place to be!

Mauricio Baez Sedeno

I´m Mauricio, a Development Studies master student from Mexico. I am interested in Poverty and Inequality in Latin America. When i´m not studying,I love exploring new restaurants and cafes in London.

Posted In: Applying: Masters | Applying: PhD | Applying: Undergraduate