William Wong

November 22nd, 2021

MSc International and Asian History at LSE: My Experience So Far

William Wong

November 22nd, 2021

As an LSE master’s student who has just finished their midterm assignments and is approaching the other half of Michaelmas term, it’s time for me to share my experience of my programme MSc International and Asian History and impression of the School. 

I acknowledge that many master’s students would feel the intensity of studying at this prestigious institution, and my programme is no exception. I was worried about course choices in week one because I was informed that some East Asian history courses, such as China and the External World 1711-1839, were no longer available in my academic year so I couldn’t enjoy this excellent academic learning experience. However, I managed to choose a handful of exciting courses like Empire, Colonialism and Globalisation, which introduced me to the study of various Empires, institutions and imperial agents. It’s been eight weeks so far, and I can confidently say that I can navigate its coursework and workload.

The ‘speciality’ about my programme is the requirement of students producing a dissertation with an Asian focus. Planning and writing dissertations is a complicated process, even amongst those who once experienced an undergraduate dissertation. At a master’s level, academics expect us to write concisely, utilise what we have learned from our taught modules, and apply them to research and editing. I have already visited many archives and libraries in England, so it’s just a walk in the park. (My own study tips: Remember to double check other University of London institution study space and library policies right after enrolment). 

So far, my time here has been academically motivating, and I will do a better summary after Lent term. I look forward to continuing my master’s journey with LSE and the Department of International History.

Learn more about LSE’s MSc International and Asian History here and watch a short intro to the programme 👇

William Wong

I'm a Master's student from Hong Kong, studying MSc International and Asian History at the London School of Economics and Political Science, specialising in British missionary activities in the making of modern China.

Posted In: Applying: Masters | Study: Masters