Joyce Sun

Global Media and Communication at LSE: My Experience So Far

Joyce Sun

Hello, Joyce here! As an LSE master’s student who has just finished their formative assignments, I feel like it’s time to share my impression of my programme, as well as my LSE experience thus far.

LSE has a reputation of being quite intensive, and now that I’m finishing up my eighth week of Michaelmas term, I definitely can see where the reputation is coming from. I am taking three modules this term, and I had some difficulty adjusting at first to the workload as well as the Master’s style of education that LSE follows. At first I had been considering taking four classes this term, and I am so glad that I didn’t, in the end.

I am taking my basic core classes for my degree, which cover theory of media in a post-modernist world and some quantitative statistics. Now, I am finally finished figuring out how to navigate the coursework and readings. I am finding that at a Master’s level of academia, it’s very much about carving out time for what you’re really interested in and properly specializing in the newest research, rather than attempting to thoroughly study every single reading assignment in a surface level. I find myself overwhelmed if I pressure myself to be well-versed in all the topics, when it’s in the end, not necessary.

My impression of the program so far is that it’s very theoretical and abstract. Perhaps it’s due to the classes I am taking, so I’m eagerly awaiting next term when I’ll be able to apply these concepts to more specific areas.

My LSE experience: great! Everyone seems eager to meet other students and exchange ideas, and the faculty are super helpful. There’s free lunch offered on campus every weekday and even plenty of free school supplies during welcome week. The student societies are a great way to build community and enjoy some extracurriculars as well. I sing in the LSE choir and highly recommend the Music Society, of which I am a member.

We’re getting ready to submit dissertation ideas next week and I’m both nervous and excited, but looking forward to seeing who my dissertation supervisor will be.

This blog was written in late November 2021.

Joyce Sun

Hello! I'm a Master's candidate in the department of Media and Communications at LSE; my areas of interest include political polarization in this new digital age where art, culture, change, power and voice intersect on networked media that has untapped potential to propagate messages. I'm also a prominent content creator in figure skating stan twitter and an award-winning poet.

Posted In: Applying: Masters | Study: Masters