Kofo

February 28th, 2022

How to Develop New Hobbies at University

Kofo

February 28th, 2022

I know, you might be thinking: ‘this is another classic New Year’s post’. Only half true because you can develop a new hobby at any time. However, reflecting on Michaelmas Term (especially as a first-year) showed me that I need to dedicate more time to my existing hobbies and also finally try the things I’ve been meaning to. Research shows that active relaxation has numerous benefits, including reducing stress and increasing creativity.

So, if you’re looking to develop new hobbies like me, I hope this blogpost will give you a helpful starting point!

1. Try something you admire.

You know the one thing you grew up wishing you could try out or be? University is great time to try out a new activity. The Student Union website has more activities than one could probably try at once but on a more serious note, university is a good time to try something new because for a couple of reasons: it’s probably cheaper, you can try it out and leave to try something else if it doesn’t work out and you can start off with little time commitment.

2. Try something you’re not very good at.

The first time I was given such advice, I wasn’t sure how doing something I didn’t find very easy could be helpful active relaxation. However, trying something which you’re bad at or which doesn’t come naturally to you gives you a different challenge. Challenging yourself in another form apart from academic provides a great avenue for active relaxation. Plus, doing something outside your comfort zone purely for the sake of trying helps with increasing your confidence.

3. Try something your friends enjoy.

Coming to university means meeting new people and people with different interests, hobbies or skills. Taking inspiration from a friend’s hobby is not only a good way to socialise but also provides an easy avenue for finding new activities.

4. Try something free! (or discounted)

London has a lot of activities you can try out for free or places you can visit as well. Whether it’s visiting a new green space, using your art pass or just walking to to see London’s great skyline views for free. On the plus side, you can vary these activities up every once in a while (or each time!) you don’t have to be training to be the world’s best sprinter (if you are, that’s cool too)

I hope you’re convinced as to why you should make time for hobbies (or active relaxation) and have some ideas of where to start. In Michaelmas term, I discovered that it feels quite good to carve out time to do things I enjoy and try out new things so this is something I’ll definitely be taking forward into Lent term.

Kofo

Hello, I’m Kofo and I’m a first-year student at LSE studying law. I’m excited to go on this journey of student life and share it with you.

Posted In: London life | Student life