Ragini

3 Ways to Enjoy London on a Budget

Ragini

3 Ways to Enjoy London on a Budget

I am not sure whether it was the gloomy weather, the early sunsets, or a literal storm raging outside, but I have been wasting money on ordering junk food like never before! Being in London for only a year, I feel an odd pressure to make the best of my time here. While it is true that there is always something happening in London, it is also true that many London “happenings” can put a decent sized whole in your wallet. Plus, I am on a Tier 4 visa so I am restricted to working 21 hours in a week. This is why I have compiled a list of activities which are cultural yet free! Who says you have to spend money to make the best of your time in London? There is culture and history in the streets of this city and every corner has a story waiting to be discovered!

1. Parks: London is home to several amazing green spaces, most of which are free to access. I usually head to Hyde Park or Regent’s Park if I’m simply in the mood for a change of scenery. Greenwich Park is great for those who want to explore. The Royal Observatory, the history of the park and the chance to actually stand on the meridian line will definitely keep you occupied all day! You can head to Battersea Park if are in the mood for a laid back activity since they have a boating lake where they offer pedal boats and row notes for hire. Crystal Palace Park and Primrose Hill get special mentions as my favourite green spaces in the city.

2. Museums: If there is one thing London has plenty of, it is museums. The British Museum, The Natural History Museum, The Tate, Victoria and Albert Museum and many other famous museums offer free entry! One of the less talked about museums happens to be the quirky Horniman Museum and if you are looking for a less nerdy way to spend your day, this is the stop for you. It even has an aquarium and butterfly sanctuary, but you need to buy tickets to be able to visit both.

3. Walking tours: On my way to classes, I often cross obscure buildings and statues and wonder how they came to be. The best way to discover London is by walking and luckily for us all, walking is still free! You could obviously walk along the South Bank and take in the views of downtown London or take a stroll on Oxford Street to feel the buzz of this city. However, if you are looking for something more organized, there are several walking tours organized by various companies all over London. Strawberry Tours has been a great discovery of mine as they offer free tours all over the city, on a variety of themes. However, if you cannot find what you are looking for, a simple google search should help you find the correct walking tour for you!

Ragini

My name is Ragini and I am a masters student in the department of International History. I am intersted in studying South Asian history, particularly Indian history. I also grew up in Delhi so I love living in London because I feel right at home amidst all the noise and commotion.

Posted In: Money