Sarah Schaible

March 27th, 2022

3 Part-Time Jobs for LSE Students

1 comment | 1 shares

Sarah Schaible

March 27th, 2022

3 Part-Time Jobs for LSE Students

1 comment | 1 shares

There are many options for part-time jobs for LSE students, which can be an overwhelming choice. At the same time, having lots of choices is great and almost guarantees you that you will find something if you would like to work alongside your degree. In this post, you can find three possible jobs that are feasible as an LSE student. I have worked or am currently working in all three of these roles, so I can share my personal experience of how I got the roles and what the working conditions are like.

1. Student Blogger

Being a student blogger involves writing for the very blog you are currently reading. I write regular blog posts for the Students@LSE Blog, helping prospective students to decide whether LSE is the right choice for them. Therefore, I reflect on my own student experience and try to think of topics that might be helpful for incoming or existing students.

I found the advert for this job in an email from LSE at the beginning of the academic year. As part of the application process, I had to submit a sample blog post and was then invited to attend training for the role.

Since the minimum expected workload consists of two blogs per month, there is not a lot of work for this job. I like that I can decide how frequently I want to write, and I also find genuine enjoyment in this work. It is nice to have an opportunity to reflect on my experience as a student, and to have a creative writing outlet, whilst being able to help others at the same time.

2. Event Steward

As an event steward, I am responsible for making sure that LSE public events such as the public lecture series or the Thursday lunchtime concerts are running smoothly. It gives me great experience in customer service and exposes me to a range of tasks. By the way, if you didn’t know about LSE public events, there are great lectures and events on the program.

I found the listing for this job on LSE Careers just before the beginning of the academic year. The application process consisted of a CV, cover letter, and short interview, where I was asked about work scenarios and my past experience.

So far, I have really enjoyed this job and have met some really nice people. The team is very friendly, and the hours of the job are very flexible. Usually, I work 1-2 shifts per week, but I could equally work more or less according to my schedule.

3. Content Writer

This is another great flexible and remote opportunity for students to earn some money. I have now worked in two jobs writing content for companies. I found the listings for these jobs on LSE Careers. Both roles have been on a freelance or casual basis, which makes the hours very flexible and the work independent.

The application process usually includes sending a copy of your CV and a writing sample. My experience with these jobs has been good but you need to be careful to not do too much work for too little money. With writing jobs, the per hour rate is often hard to judge and especially at the beginning, it will always take longer to get the hang of the required writing style.

Generally, I would encourage anyone to use the time as a student to do some casual work to earn a bit of money and gain some new skills. You never know when they might be useful!

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.

Posted In: Careers