Myriam

April 4th, 2022

How to Stay Active as an LSE Student

Myriam

April 4th, 2022

How to Stay Active as an LSE Student

Staying active and on top of your physical health is a hard commitment at the best of times, but this becomes doubly difficult as a full-time student also juggling assignments, a social life, job applications, and living in an exciting city like London. I must disclose: I am by no means a health expert or speak with any medical authorityI’m just a busy student who has realised how beneficial fitness has been to my sleeping patterns, mood, and overall wellbeing. It’s also a good way to feel accomplished about something (even if I haven’t necessarily gotten much done on my to-list that day). With all this in mind, I thought I would share a few tips on how to stay fit as an LSE student in London. 

1. Walking

There are so many incredible benefits to walking, such as improving your mood, getting your heart rate up at a moderate pace, and it can even help with concentration. When the weather is clear, London is an extremely walkable city. For example, I squeeze a 40 minute-walk in by just walking to campus from my accommodation. Walking is also a great way to unwind while listening to music or a podcast. Central London itself is mostly flat with not a lot of tiring hills, and Google Maps is your best friend while exploring. 

If you’re looking for a stroll that’s a little more fun and interactive, there are a lot of walking tours advertised all over the city as well. Walks.com offers a bunch of fun and themed tours that run on all days of the week and in all seasons. I once also saw a poster advertising a Karl Marx walking tour outside Oxford Circus tube station. 

1. Join a gym

Just like walking routes, there is a proliferation of commercial and independent gyms in the city. LSE has its own gym that offers students special membership rates. The gym is located in the Student Union Building and has a range of resources including functional equipment and classes. 

I personally am a member of PureGym close to my accommodation, a chain establishment with a bunch of branches. Large gyms such as PureGym and even the LSE gym offer concession rates for student memberships during festive sales, such as Black Friday or New Year, so it’s worth keeping an eye out for those. If you’re someone that’s motivated by competing against others, most gyms also have a range of fitness classes to get your blood pumping! 

1. Societies and Sports

Trust me, I get it – gyms can be intimidating sometimes too. If the idea of going to a (sometimes crowded) sweaty and enclosed space turns you off, you could try to keep active by doing some activity you love. For example, LSE has active swing dance, bhangra, and yoga societies. Additionally, there are a ton of Sports and Recreational clubs that train regularly and compete against other teams.

Another advantage of being in a city as alive as London is that, if there’s a dance or activity not available through the university, you’re sure to find it in the many Academies and institutes spread around the city. All it requires is a little internet browsing. 

In my opinion, the most important thing to remember is that movement should be joyful. It will be much easier to actually stick to your targets if you enjoy what you’re doing. Do you have any other tips for staying active as a student? Share them with us in the comments! 

Myriam

My name is Myriam and I'm a Master of Laws Student at LSE. When I'm not reading legal articles, I enjoy visiting museums, dancing, and discovering London's amazing restaurants.

Posted In: Student Life: Advice