Anya

May 5th, 2022

My solo trip to Italy during Easter break

Anya

May 5th, 2022

As a student living in London, I am always surprised by the accessibility of international travel compared to the train travel within the UK. You can even find £20 round trip tickets to Italy! So when I had an opening in my schedule after submitting my summative assignments, I knew that I had to make use of this opportunity to explore new places. I did not want to invite others on this trip because I wanted to take the time to learn how to navigate new surroundings alone. In addition, I also liked the idea of exploring the city at my own pace, instead of having to obsessively plan everything in advance. So I booked the tickets for a Sunday evening, on a whim.

Dreaming of Italian food!

Preparing for the Trip

Let’s be honest, it can be unsafe to be alone in a foreign country if you’re not aware of your surroundings. Hence, it is important that you prepare before travelling. I first ordered a big power bank in case my phone battery died. This will be necessary if you need to rely on location services when getting to new spots. I also got a small zipper bag that I could cover up with a coat to carry my important belongings like my passport and wallet, to avoid pickpockets in touristy areas. I would really recommend leaving your passport in your locked suitcase in your Airbnb and Hotel, if possible.  Solo travelling can be daunting, but by preparing in advance, you can feel more confident on your journey!

Booking Accommodation

Milan is an expensive city to stay on a student budget. However, it has a plethora of more affordable hostels for students. I booked my hostel via Quo Milano which offers great prices, a good location (15 minutes from Duomo), and free breakfast. The beds are pretty comfortable and the rooms are clean. I would recommend this place for all students travelling on a budget in Milan. There are many other options, depending on what type of accommodation you are looking for. Another good tip is to travel in the off-season when prices are usually lower.

Places to Explore

The most important place that all tourists should visit in Milan is the Duomo. There are great tours that give you access to the rooftop and allow you to explore the architecture inside the building. You should also book the tour to see Leonardo Da Vinci’s Last Supper beforehand as tickets sell out really quickly.

Milan is also known as a shopping haven and there are great places that sell vintage items at an affordable price. I recently discovered a shop called Bivio Milano which is owned by an American immigrant from San Francisco. It offers quality modern pieces from high-end brands at awesome prices. If you ever visit Milan, I would suggest dropping by this place to pick a few items to brighten up your wardrobe.

In addition, Milan is a great city to stay in because of its proximity to other must-visit locations in Italy, such as Lake Como and Venice. I booked a day tour to Lake Como that also took me to other places such as Bellagio and Varenna. The sights there were absolutely stunning, and I would recommend everyone to visit once in their lives.

A daytrip to Lake Como was the highlight of the trip!

These are some of the tips I have for solo travelling in Italy. I would advise you to watch your belongings carefully, and always be aware of your surroundings. During my trip, I got to connect with a lot of new people and hear their interesting life stories at my hostel. I met a Psychology PhD student from Canada taking a gap year and two other girls from Portugal. Overall, I loved my trip and would recommend solo travelling in Italy to everyone. Ciao!

Anya

Phuong Anh (Anya) is a General Course studying business administration and political science at the University of Richmond. She loves writing and reading novels, diving into the history of different cultures, and exploring the works of different philosophers. She is also an enthusiastic animal lover with three cat siblings and a dog.

Posted In: Study Abroad | Travel