Ragini

September 23rd, 2022

Designing your degree: advice from a master’s student

Ragini

September 23rd, 2022

The start of a new academic year is inching closer which means you can finally start your master’s degree after going through the whole application process and the tedious paperwork that comes with it. The first few weeks of term are basically for you to settle down and explore London, but for those of us doing a one-year master’s, every single day is precious. Since you will probably want to spend some time exploring London and getting settled, it would be a good idea to start thinking about your course choices already. While it may feel like you are prepared and ready to hit the ground running right now, once you reach campus you will definitely experience sensory overload as societies, academic departments, career support, wellbeing support and a hoard of other groups try to grab your attention. Here are my top tips to guide you through course selection so you can make the most of your degree.

1. Half unit courses: Every degree is structured differently but all students are required to complete a certain number of units in order to complete their degree. Courses can be either one unit or half unit with the former running for two terms and the later for one. I would suggest taking at least one half unit course in both terms, where possible, as you will know the result for one-fourth of your degree before exams even approach. This will not only help you design your exam revision strategy but feedback from the assessments for half unit courses can help you modify your approach to writing exams.
  2. Core modules and dissertation: When you are deciding your courses, make sure you check whether your degree has any core modules and a compulsory dissertation. A dissertation will usually be worth one unit whereas core modules can vary from department to department. A core module is essentially a course that is compulsory for everybody studying your degree. You are only allowed to take a certain number of units worth of courses and core modules and dissertation count towards this limit. Hence, it is worth checking their value before you set your heart on any other course.
  3. Courses outside your department: I did my master’s in the Department of International History so I had plenty of freedom to choose courses outside my department. I did one course from the Department of Gender and one from the Department of Economic History. If your course also allows you to pick courses outside your department, make sure you check the assessment timings for these courses. The deadlines within a department are usually coordinated and hence an overlap is unlikely. Hence, if you do want take a course which has an assessment deadline overlapping with a course within your department, you can start planning out your readings for these courses in advance.
  4. Course choice statements: This is something I wish I had known before course choices opened but most departments require you to submit a statement of about 200 words stating why you want take a particular course. The exception to this is core modules and if a module convenor chooses not to keep this requirement. However, given the flexibility that is available in taking courses across departments for masters students, most courses will have this requirement to make the selection process fair and easier for the convenor. Hence, when you are browsing courses and see something you like, try to make a few points in your mind about why this particular course interests you.

Find out more about course selection at LSE in the website.

Ragini

My name is Ragini and I am a masters student in the department of International History. I am intersted in studying South Asian history, particularly Indian history. I also grew up in Delhi so I love living in London because I feel right at home amidst all the noise and commotion.

Posted In: Student life