Ramesh Kugendran

My experience on the LSE Student Shadowing Scheme

Ramesh Kugendran

What is the LSE Student Shadowing Scheme?

The LSE Student Shadowing Scheme gives Year 12 and 13 UK students an insight into life at LSE. The programme enables students to attend an undergraduate lecture, tour the campus and quiz current LSE students on their university experiences.

My experience 

Join me as I reminisce about my memories of walking into LSE for the first time on the Student Shadowing Scheme.

While finding the Old Building took about ten minutes, my day began with a quick introduction to a Student Ambassador who had agreed to show me around LSE for half a day. I was greeted warmly and we proceeded to meet the other prospective students who were also joining us for the half day. We walked around the buildings, and while there was some construction work going on at the time – campus has expanded recently – the School was vastly different from my Sixth Form. I began inquiring about the various societies on offer and was told about the various GIAG (Give It A Go) sessions that would be held during Welcome Week. This would allow new students to try out different societies and choose the ones that best suited them. See here for some of the societies the LSE Student Union has on offer.

We hurried to the lecture after a thorough tour of the campus. Since the student we were shadowing was a BSc Economics undergraduate, the class we attended was for an MA100 Mathematical Methods lecture. While the lecture was marketed as an introductory level course, the material was far too advanced for a Year 12 student like myself. Nonetheless, it was intriguing to observe how the lecturer made the lecture both informative and interactive. Following that, we decided to grab a coffee and quiz the student ambassador on all things LSE: which included honest reviews of first-year housing, tips to improve our chances of getting into LSE and how to put yourself out there at university. At the end of the half day, the Student Ambassador led us to Holborn station safely. As the weather took a turn for the worse, it was time to say our final farewells.

Final thoughts and tips

Make the most of your half day because it goes by quickly. Prepare some questions to ask the person you’re shadowing, and remember that no question is too daft. At the end of the day, the LSE student you’ll be shadowing would prefer to have someone who is curious rather than someone who doesn’t ask any questions. Furthermore, try to talk to them as much as possible because this will allow them to show you more things that you are interested in. That being said, if there is something in particular you want to see, make sure to let them know so that they can try to accommodate the tour around your interests. For example, if you enjoy sports, they may spend more time showing you around the university gym or the sports facilities available at LSE. Alternatively, if you’re a bookworm, they’ll show you the best spots to wind down and read away from the busy library.

Student shadowing runs from October to March and applications are now being accepted. Click here if you have any questions regarding the LSE Student Shadowing Scheme. You may also want to combine your LSE Student Shadowing Scheme with an LSE public lecture, which can be booked using this link.

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: Applying: Undergraduate