Natallia

Adjusting from school to university: what to expect

Natallia

University and school are undoubtedly different. Understanding how they differ and what to expect will better prepare you for your arrival at LSE.

For one, your daily routine will look very different. Contact hours are much lower than you will be used to. Most of the work that you do will be independent and done in the library as opposed to class. This forces you to take initiative for your studies. Your work life balance falls very much under your control. This level of freedom allows your choices to dictate your life, which is something very unique to your university years.

Academic content will no longer be spoon fed to you. This is not a cause for panic, rather it’s just an adjustment that you must be ready to make. Depending on your degree, you may spend a lot of time researching or further reading, rather than relying on what the teacher has told you. To an extent, you tend to reach your own conclusions and form your own ideas on topics. I personally find this style of work more rewarding. Of course, this can seem daunting. If you feel this way, you can make use of the vast support networks in place at LSE. Study groups and attending teachers’ office hours can help you transition. You can also make use of the academic support from LSE LIFE.

The type of work you’re expected to produce can be very different to school. I believe being open-minded and assuming that work will be unlike what you have done until this point will best aid your transition to university. In my degree programme, BA History, writing essays is very different to school style essays. Referencing and academic integrity become very important. Essays become less about balance and more argument focused. Expecting change will make adjusting much easier.

But perhaps the biggest adjustment is moving away from home. Personally, I was very nervous about leaving and worried about all that came with it. I’m happy to say that none of my concerns came into fruition. Coming to London from a small school was particularly intimidating. However, LSE is a small university. The fact that the campus is all in one place certainly helps to create a bubble within London. I feel incredibly safe walking to and from campus. I even bump into friends en route, which is not something I ever expected in London. In terms of missing home, I’ve found I am almost too busy to do so.

At LSE, as all of us students do similar degrees and have similar intentions in life, you meet very like-minded people. Personally, I have found that I relate to a lot more people here, even those from the other side of the world. LSE definitely attracts students of a certain ambitious mindset, which motivates you throughout. For me, school was much narrower in its demographic; being exposed to a broader range of classmates is much more stimulating.

Leaving school can seem like an end, but this does not mean that you are plunged into the adult world. University is a stepping stone, that brings with it friendships, independence and the ability to take your own education under your control. I can guarantee that you will adjust quickly as long as you embrace the change.

Natallia

I am a first year undergraduate, studying BA History with Spanish. I am involved with many societies, such as the newspaper, netball and yoga. When I am not in the library, I love to explore London and find unusual new places.