Aishwarya

LSE Careers: the one-stop solution for your career development

Aishwarya

While the Lent Term keeps us busy, it’s also time for some of us to begin preparations to apply to internships and for some others to consider applying to jobs. Whether you’re still in the early stages of your PhD and need help with planning your career progression or are already at the cusp of entering the job market, LSE Careers is your one-stop solution for all your applications and jobs related queries. Located on the fifth floor of the Saw Swee Hock Student Centre, LSE Careers offer several services to help you achieve your career aspirations. Many of these services can also be availed online via the CareerHub portal.

Specialist PhD Career Consultant

PhD students can set-up one-on-one meetings with the LSE’s specialist PhD career consultant. Be sure to book an appointment in advance on the portal for guidance on a range of topics spanning exploring your career options, planning your internship/job search, feedback on your CV and cover letter as well as leveraging LinkedIn for your career advancement.

I met with the consultant in the first week of my PhD to discuss my career plans and chart out an action plan that suited my needs. They helped bring in a lot of clarity to my thought process, provided me with multiple options that I could begin exploring and helped me come up with actionable steps I could take to stay on track towards my career goals.

Internship/Job Search

Whether you need guidance on how to get started or want insights on navigating a competitive job market, LSE Careers can support you in developing a job search strategy that can improve your chances of success in the job market. The consultants can help you identify the right opportunities for you, build your network and provide you with tips on managing your social media to attract the right kind of opportunities best suited to your interests.

Not just that, LSE Careers can also help you customise your approach according to the market you’re interested in. Given that international job markets operate differently, the services offered can also help you get familiarised with the nuances of job search in locations that you’re interested in.

Application Process

If you’re looking for some expert input on your application materials, LSE Careers offers advice on preparing your CV and cover letter. They can provide insights on developing cracking CVs and spot-on cover letters that are tailored for each opportunity that you’re looking to apply to. Apart from this, there are services to help you navigate the application process including advice on different interview formats, assessment centres, and even psychometric testing.

There are several online resources and tools you could use to refine your application materials and for extra help on preparing for the selection processes. These span optimising your CV, tips on case interviews, and practice interview platforms.

Networking and Events

LSE Careers organises a number of events throughout the year to help you in your career progression journey. Some of these include employer and alumni insight events that provide information on the different organisations that are recruiting and the work they do, as well as career trajectories of our alumni; global career events where you can find out about available opportunities in the international market; PhD career development events to explore your career options both within and outside of academia; and recruitment events where you can directly meet with organisations and learn about their vacancies.

And there you have it! There are a number of LSE Careers services that you can avail for your career planning and progression. As a PhD student, this is an excellent resource for all of your career-related matters and one that is highly recommended.

Aishwarya

I’m Aish, an MPhil/PhD student at the Department of Psychological and Behavioural Science. I study the impact that personality characteristics can have on performance at the workplace. When I’m not actively PhD-ing, I spend my time cooking, writing, and hula-hooping.

Posted In: Careers | Study: PhD