Ramesh Kugendran

July 8th, 2023

A post-exam paradise: tales of tranquillity along the French Riviera

Ramesh Kugendran

July 8th, 2023

The anticipation for a much-needed escape grew as my final year exams approached. London, a city I had now associated with exams and stress, begged for a break. I yearned to experience something new, go someplace new, a city far from the familiar. Enter the French Riviera. It was the ultimate choice, with its sun-kissed beaches, picturesque scenery, and exhilarating water sports, which drew my old school friends and I there. Exams were finished, and with my newfound freedom, it was time to embark on our journey.

With an early flight booked, we looked forward to the breathtaking views when we arrived in the French Riviera. As we got closer to Nice Airport, we noticed yachts and para-sailors dotting the landscape against a stunningly blue ocean seamlessly merging with the surroundings. We were welcomed by a warm climate as soon as we stepped off the plane, a tell-tale indication that an unforgettable adventure was about to begin.

Nice was nice

We were eager to explore the city’s centre once we had checked into our conveniently located hotel, which was only a short tram ride away (FYI: Nice has fantastic public transportation!). Our first stop was the charming Nice city centre, where the Old Town’s allure with its historical significance and vibrant flea markets drew us in. After taking a stroll along the Promenade des Anglais, we arrived at the Colline du Château, which provided astonishing aerial views of Nice. Later indulging in some delicious local food, we concluded that it was time to retire for the evening, content with the unforgettable adventures that lay ahead of us.

Marvellous Monaco

Our next stop was none other than Monaco, the pinnacle of my entire holiday. Magnificent yachts owned by the super-rich lined the harbour as the remnants of the recently finished Formula 1 race track were being deconstructed. A lavish display of wealth and glitz, it was a sight to behold. Our initial attraction was the HSH The Prince of Monaco’s Car Collection exhibition, a haven for automotive enthusiasts like myself. From Formula 1 cars to Batmobile lookalikes and Ferraris, there was a vehicle to suit every taste imaginable. We set out on an uphill walk to the Casino de Monte-Carlo, though the scorching summer day really put our stamina to the test. Nevertheless, the sight that awaited us was straight out of a James Bond film. Supercars lined the streets, and we were in awe of the casino’s incredible architecture inside.

Monaco’s following day was a whirlwind. We went to the Prince’s Palace, the Saint Nicholas Cathedral, the Princess Grace Japanese Garden, and Metropole Shopping Monte-Carlo, where we indulged in retail therapy. Sadly, the day ended all too soon, leaving us yearning for more of Monaco’s enticing allure.

Eze: picturesque perfection

We wanted a peaceful retreat after two intense days in Monaco, which brought us to the charming town of Eze. The sweltering heat compelled us to cool off in the crystal-clear waters as we lounged on the shores. It felt like a scene from a movie, with the landscape resembling a picturesque postcard. (P.S. Attention all Instagram fanatics, this is the ULTIMATE SPOT for capturing aesthetic photos!)

Coastal gems: Cannes & Antibes

We set out for Antibes and Cannes in search of sandy beaches in order to escape the rocky coastlines of Eze and Nice. The Église Notre-Dame d’Espérance and a pleasant excursion along Boulevard de la Croisette lifted our spirits, despite the Palace of Festivals and Congresses in Cannes missing its renowned glitz outside the film festival season. Away from the bustling tourist crowds of Cannes, Antibes offered a more European atmosphere with its less commercialised beaches that invited us to unwind and go swimming.

Final thoughts

And there you have it—my testimonial of the mini-break I took while attending LSE and travelling outside London. This holiday was a reminder to embrace life’s adventures and discover solace in the beauty of our natural world. Anyways, I’m eager to go back and make more lasting memories, but until then, I’ll take comfort in browsing through the irreplaceable pictures on my iPhone and reliving my enchanting journey along the French Riviera. Share your French Riviera travel tips in the comments below!

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: Travel