Ramesh Kugendran

August 12th, 2023

Beyond the cap and gown: embracing the future

Ramesh Kugendran

August 12th, 2023

Thursday, 20 July 2023, holds a special place in my heart as it marked the long-awaited day of my graduation after six years of anticipation. The excitement and emotions were beyond words as the time had finally come to walk across the stage and receive my well-deserved degree.

Reflections on the journey

LSE had always been a dream close to my heart since my first involvement in the LSE student shadowing scheme back in Year 10. However, unlike many who smoothly transitioned from school to LSE, my first attempt at acceptance didn’t go as planned. Undeterred, this setback only fuelled my desire for LSE even more. Although the University of Bristol was a respectable institution where I studied for two years, my heart was set on LSE.

After much contemplation, I made the tough decision to take a gap year and reapply to LSE. To my surprise, I was accepted the second time around! Fast forward three years, and here I stand, a proud BSc International Social and Public Policy graduate with an Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1), joining the esteemed ranks of LSE’s worldwide alumni community.

Proudly wearing the gown: my symbol of achievement

My journey to graduation turned out to be quite exciting. The ceremony was scheduled for 2pm which allowed my family and I to easily travel to central London, which was just a short 40-minute drive away from home. I couldn’t help but experience a mix of anticipation and anxiety as we left, making sure that everything was ready for the big day.

As soon as we got to LSE, I wasted no time in collecting my tickets for the ceremony and, of course, my prized cap and gown. I have to admit that when the kind assistant helped me put on the gown, I experienced some unexpected feelings. The realisation of achieving this long-held dream was truly overwhelming, and I found myself choking up with pride and happiness.

I was deeply moved by the moving speeches and heartfelt scenes that took place during the ceremony. The realisation that my time as a student was over finally set in. Chatting with my friends afterwards, I learned that my fellow classmates were also feeling a mixture of pride and nostalgia. After receiving my award without any mishaps, it was time for the reception drinks with the rest of our Department of Social Policy. As we socialised with the professors and other students in our programme, the environment was welcoming and brimming with camaraderie. The moment was made even more special by our knowledge that it may very well be the last time we would all be in the same room.

With drinks flowing and canapés served, the time came to bid farewell. I said my goodbyes to each one of my friends, cherishing the memories we had created together. My family and I quickly rushed to Sexy Fish for our dinner reservation, where we eagerly looked forward to celebrating the day’s accomplishments.

No regrets, just lessons

There are times when I look back on my time in university and wish I had approached things differently. Being a member of the COVID-19 pandemic cohort presented unique difficulties that prevented me from fully engaging in students’ union societies and other university activities. However, this was beyond my control.

Nevertheless, I am extremely proud of how much I have grown during this time, despite the academic obstacles and struggles on a personal level. Achieving a first-class grade of 80 on my dissertation, titled “Power Plays: Reviewing the Colonial Matrix via the Subjugation of Tamils in Sri Lanka,” stands out as one of my greatest successes at LSE. I was initially hesitant to explore this controversial and sensitive subject matter, but I decided to embrace it, given its personal significance.

This journey taught me a valuable lesson – staying true to myself. You can feel compelled sometimes and buckle under pressure to keep up with others and pretend to be someone that you’re not: but you must maintain your identity amidst the academic and social whirlwind. In doing so, you will not lose sight of who you are as an individual. I must say that the secret to success in university is personal development, so put yourself out there and don’t look back!

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE | Student life