The city of London never ceases to excite with its long and interesting history and vibrant culture. There is a wide range of activities students can enjoy depending on what they like to do for fun. Some of these are also excellent opportunities to make lifelong memories with your newfound friends at LSE!
- Sightseeing: Some of the best things London offers are free! Iconic landmarks such as Big Ben, London Eye, and Tower Bridge, as well as numerous museums and parks, are all open for public viewing, ensuring a fun day out with friends that won’t break the bank! Some museums such as the Victoria and Albert Museum, the British Museum, and Somerset House also hold “museum lates”, which are after-hours gatherings with live entertainment, classes, and themed displays, letting students learn about history, art, and culture in a new and exciting way. If you want to get away from the city’s hustle and bustle, plan a delicious picnic in one of London’s lovely parks such as Hampstead Heath, Regent’s Park and Hyde Park. Parks offer a great opportunity to unwind and bond with friends over food and drink, especially in the summer!
- Explore hidden gems: Set out to explore areas like Camden, Shoreditch, Soho, and Covent Garden (just a short walk away from the LSE campus!) in search of quaint bookstores, charming cafés, trendy shops and vibrant street art. As an ever-growing city, there is always something waiting to be discovered!
- Arts and crafts activities: Visit an art and craft jamming studio in London to unleash your creative side. Everything you need to paint, sketch, or create your masterpieces is available at these locations, where you can bond with your friends over art! My personal favourite is Social Pottery, where my friends and I gave ourselves the funny challenge of painting the strangest-looking creature on a piece of pottery! Other similar events include Brush and Bubbles, WeJam, and Token Studios.
- Visit an arcade: Arcades offer a thrilling experience that combines nostalgia with contemporary entertainment. From vintage pinball machines to immersive virtual reality excursions, arcade adventures such as Funland in the Brunswick Centre and NQ64 in Soho let you bond with your friends over friendly competition and exciting prizes!
- Karaoke nights: A fun-filled karaoke night is a great addition to the London experience. Belt out your favourite tunes together with your friends at one of London’s many karaoke bars such as Lucky Voice, Karaoke Box and the Karaoke Hole. Some of these places also offer discounts for group bookings, along with student drinks and food deals!
- Outdoor cinema: In the summer months, places in London host outdoor movie screenings in various parks and public areas. Bring some snacks, drinks, and blankets for a unique cinematic experience set in London’s outdoor spaces. This summer, my friends and I enjoyed a movie night under the stars, watching Shrek at the Rooftop Film Club!
- Cruise down the river and canals: Cruising down the river Thames in London with friends, especially on unique experiences like GoBoat, offers a delightful and leisurely way to enjoy the city’s iconic sights. Drifting along the tranquil waters, you’ll be captivated by stunning views of historic landmarks such as the Tower Bridge and the London Eye. Sharing stories, laughter, and perhaps a picnic aboard your self-steered vessel also adds a touch of adventure. You can also hire smaller boats at areas such as Regent’s Park to sail down canals and lakes, which is a unique way of exploring Camden Lock and the London Zoo, accompanied by swans and ducks!
There are several opportunities for friends to have fun and go on adventures while studying in London. So gather your pals, don your explorer hats, and prepare to make lifelong memories in one of the most exciting cities!