Ramesh Kugendran

September 29th, 2023

From dorm to top form: the best gyms on campus and near campus

Ramesh Kugendran

September 29th, 2023

Finding a balance for prioritising your physical health can be difficult, especially in light of the demands of our hectic university schedules. Therefore, having an easily accessible gym near campus can be an advantage, leaving you with no room for excuses. Selecting the perfect gym that meets your needs may be tricky, but there’s no reason to worry. I’ve put together a list of my favourite gyms that at and close to LSE, so you’ll be up to speed.

• The Students’ Union LSE Gym

No gym gets as close to the campus as this one! The LSESU Gym is conveniently located right on campus, more specifically, on the 4th Floor of the Saw Swee Hock Building. Most importantly, you have access to the gym every day of the week. And there’s even better news for the ladies: they have an exclusive Women’s Only Hour. But, be sure to check with staff to confirm what days and times this operates. Contact su.gym@lse.ac.uk by email if you have any further inquiries or you’d like to schedule an orientation session.

• The Gym Group: Holborn Circus

The LSESU Gym is unquestionably impressive, but it frequently gets slightly busy. Also, there might be times when you want to exercise later or even earlier than the scheduled opening times. Enter, The Gym Group. In the UK, the Gym Group franchise offers gym memberships that give you access to their facilities every day of the week, 24 hours a day. Additionally, they offer a student membership option, which is advantageous because it results in lower costs over a 9-month period. As an alternative, you might want to think about their off-peak membership, which is slightly less expensive but has time restrictions on when you can visit. Hence, it’s vital to pick the membership option that aligns best with your preferences.

• Fitness First: Waldorf Aldwych

This gym was frequented by a few of my friends, but it’s fairly expensive. However, the rave reviews make it seem worthwhile. The sauna, pool, and steam room are this gym’s best features. In addition to their student memberships, they also offer some fantastic deals if the price is a little too high. The membership also grants you access to their other 21 gyms, located across the country.

• PureGym London Holborn

The PureGym franchise provides facilities every day of the week, 24 hours a day, just like The Gym Group franchise does. If I’m being honest, this is actually my favourite gym franchise. When I was living out during my first year, I decided to use the PureGym on Tottenham Court Road. The PureGym franchise boasts a sizeable network of gyms throughout the UK, so feel free to choose whichever one is convenient for you to get to. (P.S. PureGym’s lighting is amazing, making it the perfect location for those Instagram-worthy gym selfies)

• Gymbox Holborn

Alas, the majority of the gyms in Central London are frequently much smaller than those in other parts of Greater London. But Gymbox Holborn stands out as one of the most generously spacious gyms available. However, the true star of this gym lies in its classes and personal trainers. From energising spin classes to Pilates, they have it all. Last but not least, as you can probably infer from the name, it’s ideal for boxing enthusiasts. For those who want to incorporate some pad work right after their workout, it’s the perfect haven!

Final thoughts …

So there you have it—my picks for the top five gyms on campus. Of course, there are a lot of gyms in London, so do your research and only select those that your student budget will allow you to afford. You don’t want to sign up for an expensive gym membership and then decide not to go after six months. My best recommendation is to sign up for an introductory class or a day pass as well, just so you can experience the atmosphere of the gym. Happy lifting!

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: Campus | London life