Saqib

October 4th, 2023

A confluence of paradoxes: my intellectual sojourn at the LSE European Institute

Saqib

October 4th, 2023

Boarding the Orient Express of intellect

As I meandered through the grand archways of LSE, I felt as though I had embarked on a locomotive bound for an unknown destination—much like those I’d boarded in New Delhi. The train’s engine roared with the excitement of a Fitzgerald cocktail party; think Jay Gatsby meets BR Ambedkar.

In the grand bazaar of ideas

The corridors of LSE serve as a curious marketplace, where technology trades hands like rare spices in Rajasthan’s bustling bazaars. The professors, merchants of intellectual enterprise, barter not in silks and diamonds, but in theories and philosophies. Their eyes gleam with a cynicism Khushwant Singh would have relished.

Venturing into the terrain of migration and public policy

LSE has a knack for weaving a tapestry of intellect so dense that every thread tells a tale. Among these intricate designs, the course on International Migration and Public Policy at the European Institute was the golden thread that enriched my narrative. Not unlike the poetic strokes of Fitzgerald and the sarcastic wit of Singh, this course was a mosaic of global perspectives, dissecting the nuances of public policy in the backdrop of migration.

Masterclasses in global chronicles

In the European Institute, classrooms became portals. From understanding the historic ebb and flow of populations to the present-day debates on international relocation, it was akin to hopping on the time-travelling train of Ambedkar’s revolutionary ideas and landing into Gatsby’s opulent mansion. There, courses like International Migration and Immigration Management lay out the buffet with a side dish of International Migration and Migrant Integration for a more wholesome meal, topped off by a dessert course in International Migration: EU Policies and Politics.

Dances with diplomacy

Each lecture, a waltz of globalisation, migration, and public policy. And as the dance intensified, the relationship between these elements became evident. I learnt to sway with the rhythm of debates, discerning how migration challenges were shaping the very tenets of public policy. The course was my Daisy, an alluring dance partner, leading me to the complex terrains of international policy frameworks and migrant integration strategies.

The grand stage of opportunity

Emerging from this academic odyssey, the world unfurled as a stage brimming with roles that beckoned. From international institutions, reminiscent of Gatsby’s vast connections, to the political arena where Ambedkar’s ideals roared, the prospects were endless. The NGOs, with their humanitarian touch, seemed like Khushwant Singh’s tales, raw and real. Public service roles whispered of responsibility and commitment, while immigration organisations promised engagement at the very core of global movements.

The non-linear waltz of life

Navigating the labyrinthine halls, I found myself in a zigzagging dance, one moment engrossed in Ambedkar’s ideals of social justice, the next captivated by Fitzgerald’s poetic despair. It was like a waltz choreographed by Khushwant Singh—a dance that revels in the contradictions that make life an exquisite satire.

Feasting and fasting: the EI Dining Club

Goodness, the Dining Club of the European Institute! As you sip fine wine, the conversation meanders from income inequality to the ethics of migration. It’s the sort of place Daisy Buchanan would flirt with socialism, and Khushwant Singh would raise an eyebrow at the irony.

From the “train compartment” to “the platform”

My journey did not end when I disembarked from this intellectual Orient Express. Rather, I found myself standing on a platform overlooking a myriad of opportunities, forever chasing the green light, yet savouring the chase.

Your turn to board the train

So, as I take a retrospective glance, lit by the sepia tones of nostalgia and the harsh light of reality, I can’t help but chuckle. LSE’s EI is not merely an educational institution; it’s a satirical masterpiece co-authored by every student who walks its hallowed halls. For those pondering a journey with LSE, let the tales of Ambedkar’s resilience, Fitzgerald’s passion, and Singh’s irony inspire you.

With reflections of a global nomad,

Who danced with the melodies of Migration at LSE.

So, as you contemplate your next academic voyage, let the rich tapestry of LSE guide you. Dive into the intricate dance of knowledge, debate, and opportunity. After all, isn’t the dance of learning the most exhilarating of all?

Saqib

Saqib holds an MSc in International Migration and Public Policy (2022/23) from the LSE European Institute. He's keen on studying migration using AI and data analytics, aiming to deepen understanding and improve research in this field.

Posted In: Study: Masters