Juste

October 4th, 2023

Exploring global horizons: my journey at the LSE European Institute

Juste

October 4th, 2023

Stepping into the vibrant and bustling city of London from the tranquil streets of Vilnius, Lithuania, was a dream come true. My journey took an exciting turn as I embarked on a Master’s in Political Economy of Europe at the prestigious LSE European Institute, graduating with the class of 2015. This experience was a pivotal moment that not only broadened my academic horizons but also transformed my worldview and ignited a successful career.

London, with its rich history and dynamic culture, was a captivating backdrop for my academic pursuits. LSE, situated in the heart of this great metropolis, proved to be a hub of intellectual excellence and innovation. The transition from a smaller city to London’s cosmopolitan environment was exhilarating. The city’s energy and diversity effortlessly seeped into our academic lives, enriching discussions both in and out of the classroom.

One of the most remarkable aspects of my time at the European Institute (EI) was the diverse group of classmates hailing from all corners of the globe. This international mix allowed for an eclectic exchange of ideas and perspectives, creating an environment that fostered innovative thinking and encouraged us to approach challenges from various angles. The friendships formed during this time not only enhanced my cultural awareness but also provided a global network that continues to be valuable to this day.

Academically, the institute was a beacon of cutting-edge knowledge and forward-thinking. The curriculum delved into intriguing subjects such as EU policymaking, European monetary integration, and welfare states. Engaging in debates, lectures, and seminars with esteemed professors and fellow students opened up a world of insights that shaped my understanding of Europe’s intricate political and economic dynamics.

LSE wasn’t just a place of rigorous academia; it was also a place where ideas flourished beyond the confines of the classroom. Late-night discussions, brainstorming sessions after lectures, and the notorious parties we threw collectively contributed to an atmosphere of creativity and collaboration. These moments of casual exchange often led to innovative concepts and projects that extended beyond the academic realm.

Upon completing my degree at the EI, armed with a wealth of knowledge and a global perspective, I embarked on a fulfilling professional journey. London provided a thriving landscape for my career, with stints at esteemed institutions like the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and EY. The solid foundation of academic rigor and innovative thinking from my time at the EI undoubtedly played a pivotal role in my success.

My journey eventually led me to the picturesque city of Zurich, Switzerland, where I joined Credit Suisse (a UBS Group Company). The value of my LSE education was further highlighted, and the EI’s reputation for excellence preceded me, opening doors and garnering respect in the professional sphere.

My story stands as a testament to the power of a quality education and the boundless opportunities it can unlock. The EI was not just a place of learning; it was a launchpad for a fulfilling and impactful journey that continues to unfold. As I embrace the next chapter of my life in Zurich, I do so with the profound understanding that the seeds planted at LSE have blossomed into a remarkable career and a global perspective that knows no bounds.

Juste

Juste is a senior business project manager at Credit Suisse (a UBS Group Company) in Zürich leading sustainable investment business transformation and regulatory change implementation projects. She studied at the London School of Economics (MSc Political Economy of Europe) and the Institute for International Relations and Political Science at Vilnius University.

Posted In: Study: Masters