Ramesh Kugendran

Eating our way near campus: the greatest dining spots

Ramesh Kugendran

Greetings, are you predicting an intense day at university with barely any time for a snack? Hold on, my buddy; then, this blog is for you! And no, it’s not necessary for you to pack your usual, uninteresting sandwich from home. This blog is for people like me who struggle with setting aside time to eat on days when they have a hectic schedule. Just a heads-up, all of the restaurants listed below are within 5 to 10 minutes of campus by foot, so there’s absolutely no excuse not to grab a bite there!

1. Coco di Mama – Kingsway

✓ Positives: Excellent location for quick Italian food. They make fantastic mini doughnuts, and you can customise your pasta and sauce to your preferences. It’s also much simpler with the self-service checkouts, especially if you’re pressed for time. Lastly, there’s plenty of room to find a seat.

Negatives: Lunchtime can be a little busy, but I suppose that goes for any restaurant.

2. Hiba Express, Holborn

✓ Positives: For everyone who adores Lebanese food! With over 80 options on the menu, I repeatedly order the Hiba Mixed Shawarma wrap, but there is something for everyone. It also offers Halal food, making it one of the few places in the Holborn area to do so. They have takeaway menus, which is great because you can order and pick up the food when it’s ready.

Negatives: Food can get a little messy, so keep some tissues on standby.

3. Viet Eat, Kingsway

✓ Positives: If you’re looking for some incredibly spicy Vietnamese food, this is the place to go. I strongly recommend the Banh Mi (Vietnamese Baguettes). Food offers good value for the price, and the price is reasonable.

Negatives: Not the best choice if you’re in a rush because it can take up to 20 minutes to get your food during busy times. But the food is worth the wait!

4. McDonald’s Holborn

✓ Positives: Although it may seem obvious, a cheeky Maccies are always a solid choice! It’s a great place to pick up food if you’re in a hurry because it’s directly in front of Holborn station.

Negatives: Seating is extremely limited, so be aware of the crowds!

5. Honest Burgers, Holborn

Positives: Amazingly generous portions that are also very affordable. They actually prepare your meat to the desired level of cooking. It’s different from other burger joints where you have to send food back and forth because it’s either undercooked or overcooked.

Negatives: Again, if you need to save time, I’d suggest ordering online for click and collect.

6. Il Panino, Holborn

Positives: Similar to a mini subway, but with paninis instead! You can also pick up and go from a large selection of wraps and sandwiches!

Negatives: While not the most aesthetically pleasing restaurant in Holborn, their paninis are excellent!

7. Wasabi Sushi & Bento, Holborn

Positives: Given that Wasabi is located directly in front of campus, I had to mention it! It’s ideal for those quick lunches in between classes, with everything from their hot food boxes to their sushi options. Additionally, it’s reasonably priced and healthy. They also have the amazing Aloe Mango!

Negatives: Sushi might not be the best item to carry around in your bag because your bag might smell if the box is not closed properly! I can speak from personal experience; trust me!

8. Eat Tokyo, Holborn

Positives: Excellent for enthusiasts of authentic Japanese cuisine! If you’re unfamiliar with Japanese cuisine, the extremely detailed menu will be of great assistance. The food is also superb.

✘ Negatives: It can be pricey, so it might not be somewhere you may want to eat daily, but maybe when that student finance drops, you can treat yourself!

Final thoughts … 

So there you have it—my top picks for food establishments near campus. Just keep in mind that you can never focus effectively while you are hungry or have an empty stomach. Therefore, even between classes or on your way to campus, grab something beforehand to avoid having to wait. Please feel free to comment if you think I missed any campus-area eateries. Toddles!

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: London life