Lola

December 3rd, 2023

Navigate travel during university life: a guide

Lola

December 3rd, 2023

I feel incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to explore several amazing European cities while living in London.  As an American, I still can’t believe how easy it is to hop on a train or catch a flight from this city and find myself in a whole new country. Even though my studies were my priority, I made sure to squeeze in visits to four different countries during my second term at LSE last year. London truly spoils you, as an international hub with six major airports and numerous train stations. Throughout the year, I managed to check out two countries by train and two by flight. Transportation was definitely not an issue in this city.  The trickiest part was juggling my jam-packed school schedule. That’s why I’ve got some helpful tips for any student who wants to embark on their own travel adventures while still staying on top of their studies.

1. Make the most of all your breaks

As university students, we get breaks throughout the year, some long (between terms) and some shorter (Reading Week in each term). You may think you need a ton of time  for a trip. However, I’ve found that shorter trips during Reading Week are just as worthwhile. Here’s my major tip: reserve Reading Week for less demanding getaways. You know those holidays where you end up needing another holiday just to recuperate? Well, those should be avoided when you have only one week away from your courses. Instead, I decided to make the most of my reading week by embarking on a relatively simple yet exciting holiday to Edinburgh, Scotland. There were several reasons why this trip was less demanding. Firstly, being an English-speaking country, I didn’t have to brush up on any language skills or navigate through unfamiliar terrain. Secondly, since it’s part of the United Kingdom, there were fewer passport and visa requirements compared to traveling outside the UK. Lastly, I opted for a train journey, saving myself the hassle of airport security and long lines. All in all, Edinburgh turned out to be the perfect three-day getaway during Reading Week, leaving me feeling refreshed and ready for the remainder of the term, rather than stressed out. 

2. Front-load breaks with travel 

As university students, most of the breaks we receive don’t truly feel like breaks. The main reason is that we usually have these pesky assignments that are due at the end of break hanging over our heads. While completing the assignments is definitely important, it’s not necessary to tackle them right away. In fact, the initial days following the end of a semester are typically less productive because our brains need a much deserved break. This is why the beginning of a break is the ideal time to plan a holiday. By doing so, you can be productive in a different way (by embarking on an incredible travel experience) and enjoy some fun before focusing on assignments closer to the deadline. Between Autumn and Winter Term, I had the opportunity to visit Barcelona, Spain, which provided a much-needed escape from the gloomy winter in London.  After Winter Term, I took a trip to Switzerland, which served as a fantastic way to unwind before diving into my final dissertation project. During both of these vacations, I didn’t feel stressed. I knew that upon returning, I still had plenty of time to dedicate to my assignments.

3. Take advantage of your university schedule

Got two consecutive days without any classes? Why not take a trip? During Winter Term, most of my classes were concentrated on just two days of the week. Luckily, my schedule aligned in a way that gave me back-to-back non-university days. While I typically used these days to catch up on readings and assignments throughout the term, I also decided to seize the opportunity and plan a trip that encompassed these free days, along with a few extra days due to the weekend. The best part of scheduling a trip during the workweek is that prices tend to be more budget-friendly. As post-grad life won’t offer the same flexibility, I’m incredibly grateful that I took advantage of my university schedule and booked that trip to Paris, France.

Embracing the unique opportunities that university schedules offer, I’ve been able to make the most of my time by traveling outside of London. Also got the travel bug? Have some tips that I missed? I’d love to hear them in the comments below. 

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: Travel