Jia

December 11th, 2023

My LSE journey: growing personally and globally aware

Jia

December 11th, 2023

My time at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) has truly transformed me. With a deep passion for climate change and sustainable development, choosing to study at LSE was a life-changing decision. In this essay, I’ll share what makes studying at LSE so special to me, how it’s changed my view of global issues, and the amazing experiences I’ve had along the way.

Chasing My Passion

LSE is the perfect place for students who are passionate about climate change and sustainable development. Coming from Malaysia, where these issues aren’t as widely recognised, LSE has given me a unique opportunity to dig deep into these topics. It’s equipped me with the knowledge and skills to tackle these global challenges head-on.

A Global Perspective

LSE’s reputation for academic excellence has connected me with top-notch professors and researchers. Learning from these experts has broadened my horizons and helped me understand the complex relationship between development and sustainability, not just in my country but worldwide.

A Diverse Community

One of the most amazing aspects of my LSE journey is meeting people from all over the world. Interacting with peers from diverse backgrounds has exposed me to countless perspectives on national development. We all share a common goal: making our societies better. This unity in purpose, alongside our diverse approaches, has been enlightening and enriching.

Embracing Diversity and Inclusion

At LSE, ‘diversity and inclusion’ isn’t just a slogan; it’s a way of life. Getting to know people from different cultures has taught me the importance of respecting and celebrating our unique backgrounds while working together for common goals. This experience has made me a more empathetic and inclusive global citizen.

Beyond Career Prospects

While LSE certainly opens doors to fantastic career opportunities, my education here is about more than just getting a job. It has exposed me to a world of possibilities, helping me view global issues from fresh perspectives. LSE has armed me with critical thinking skills to tackle complex problems and empowered me to contribute positively to solving them.

The Uggla Family Scholar Experience

Uggla Family Scholars of 2023/24 (including me)!
PHOTOGRAPH BY DANIEL JONES 2023, www.danieljonesphotography.co.uk

As an Uggla Family Scholar, my experience at LSE takes on an even deeper meaning. It’s a dream come true, something I would never have imagined before. The career assistance provided by this programme and the networking opportunities with fellow Uggla Family Scholars have ignited new ideas about the importance of approaching societal development in diverse ways.

My journey at LSE has been transformational. It has fuelled my passion for climate change and sustainable development, broadened my global perspective, introduced me to a diverse international community, and taught me to respect and celebrate cultural diversity. Beyond career prospects, LSE has given me the tools to create positive change in the world, making me a more open-minded and globally aware individual. As I continue my studies at LSE, I’m excited to see how this experience, including my role as an Uggla Family Scholar, will shape my future, knowing that it has already had a profound impact on who I am today.

Learn more about LSE’s Uggla Family Scholars Programme, which offers 10 scholarships every year to new undergraduate students, worth over £21,000 per year for UK students and over £29,000 for international students, plus mentoring, coaching and opportunities throughout your studies.

Jia

I'm a first-year student of BSc Environment and Sustainable Development with Economics at LSE. I'm on an exciting journey to explore the vibrant and enriching LSE study life, and I'm eager to share the joy of this experience with you. My interests extend beyond academics; I'm passionate about traveling and savouring diverse cuisines. If you find my content intriguing or simply wish to engage in a friendly conversation, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Posted In: Money | Student life